PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ignaciojn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2016
Recently, I acquired a bunch of MM cobs.

I remember reading a thread here stating that cobs with a hardwood insert had a stamp on the bottom, instead of the sticker. Thing is, all my cobs have a sticker.

I'm a cob newbie, so I can't really tell if it has said insert or not.

So, did MM change their stamp tradition, or I've been ripped off?

murica

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2017
Not all do. I haven't seen a stamp in several years. All the ones I have bought have been stickers.
I think you're safe.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Some models have a plug in the bottom and they are stamped like my Great Danes, Generals, and Diplomats. Others are just regular cobs with no plugs like my Missouri Prides and they have stickers.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I have purchased new Mark Twains in the last few months, and they have the hardwood plug with the stamping, as do my Country Gents. What models did you purchase?

ignaciojn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2016
These are the models I got that should have the plug, according to the website: Marcus, General, Mark Twain, Country Gentleman, Diplomat, Freehand, Little Devil Cutty, The "Wizard" Cobbit.

eaglebleyes

Might Stick Around
Jan 23, 2017
Mars
All mine have come with stickers only and they do have the plug in the bottom..Well the ones that are supposed to have it anyways. Look at the bottom closely and you will see the plug it's about a dime size circular insert.

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
All my legends have no wood plug and came with stickers.
My great dane, freehand, general and diplomat all have hardwood plugs and are stamped.
... FWIW

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
I have purchased new Mark Twains in the last few months, and they have the hardwood plug with the stamping, as do my Country Gents.

Interesting. I have eight "post-draught" Country Gentlemen (half straight, half bent), bought about the time they started putting the plugs on the bottom (prior to this, there was no plug). There's no stamping; they just applied the sticker over the plug. So they're stamping the Country Gentlemen now?

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
My Country Gents are older than the Twains; I would guess about three years old now, maybe four? They are most definitely stamped, not stickered. I can't remember if I got them from P&C or Aristocob, but I can guarantee it was one of the two.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
That's cool. I like the idea of stamping over the stickers for plugged cobs. I've enjoyed doing business with Scott at Aristocob. I think he carried the vulcanite stems for the MM Freehand as a standalone item before anyone else. I got four of them to go with the bent Country Gentlemen. They make them look long and lanky but they're great clenchers.
"Post-draught?" Meant "post-drought." Auto-correct didn't catch that; either did I.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Scott runs a great business, no doubt about it. I especially love the golf tee tampers he sends out with his orders!

Status
Not open for further replies.