PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I have a cheap MM cob without a hardwood plug. The bottom of the chamber is only some gunk that could harden, but hardened for it means easily permeable by a pipe tool poker.
To get enough space below the draft for a pipe mud/wood plug means removing the intruding shank insert at the bottom of the bowl.
Does anyone know how to remove the shank entirely such that I can cut off the intruding end and then refix the shank into the bowl? If I could do this I could turn to the real issue, making a pipe mud/wooden bottom for the bottom of the chamber.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Heat...perhaps a heat gun if you have one or put it in the microwave until the glue loosens, but before your house starts to smell like a movie theater!

samon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2015
The stem on mine seems to be cemented in and also pertrudes. It makes smoking to the bottom a pain in the arse. I have used a 20mm gause to help create a new bottom, but other than drilling,chiseling it out it'll probably damage the bowl to remove it completely for a chop job.
A more simple solution would be make a bottom layer of a suitable pipe mud.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/removing-the-shank-from-a-corn-cob-pipe

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
I recently modified 4 MM cobs. They were "seconds" from a grab bag, all Legends.

The first thing was to remove stems. 15 seconds in microwave and stem comes out without any effort.

Then I drilled out the bottom with a 1/2 inch drill bit. Next I glued in a hardwood plug with regular white glue, after that cleaned stem

from old glue, shortened it so it does not protrude into the bowl. Before gluing the stem I covered bottom and the sides of 2 pipes with pipe mud and

other 2 with fireplace cement (I am experimenting). After everything dried out I glued in stems and let the pipes sit for a week before I tried them.

Last night I tried a pipe covered with pipe mud and today will try one with fireplace cement.

The reason I modified my cob was the stink I would get from them after few bowls.

All pipes I modified were unsmoked.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
ben88, thank you for the microwave tip; Worked like a charm!
chasingembers, thank you for the thread reference.

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
If you decide to coat the bottom of the bowl - use pipe mud.

I just tried one of my cobs covered with fireplace cement and

it tasted awful

Status
Not open for further replies.