PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eagleron

Lurker
Jun 20, 2016
Louisiana
i just got a MM Ozark hardwood. Had maybe three smokes in it. It smokes great not near as hot as my Legends. I love it. My question is what about the bigger MM hardwoods? Which one smokes the best?

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
I always thought they were birch (or at least the same material as the MM shanks.) These are really decent pipes when you do not have much money. I always hate the fist couple of smokes because the have a nasty weird taste until you get the bowl charred.

May 4, 2015
I think they're all Birch. Cherry, maple, what have you refers to the finish. I also thought that the bowls were the same material as the shanks on all the pipes. I can't recall where I gleaned this info.
MM doesn't reveal in any of their marketing what type of wood they're made of. Perhaps to leave the option open to use whatever hardwood they have available and not be married to a particular species? Dunno.
I like mine quite a bit, by the way.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I've got a few of these that came in a lot of estate pipes as NOS. They have picture of Andrew Jackson on the bottom, so I assumed they were hickory. I can't tell one wood from another, so they could be made of birch.

emsjunky

Lurker
Jul 31, 2016
I have two ozark pipes, one bent, one straight. I bought them for "beater " pipes, but fell in love with them. They smoke cool and dry, and the only thing I would change is the actual size. I would love a larger bowl for longer smokes.

willc

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2014
They are most likely whatever pallets they have around.
Seriously though, I have a couple small in cherry and a big one that is maple.

In my experience these hardwood pipes smoke just as good as briar.

I prefer my corncobs to any type of wood though just for smoking reasons but I still use briar just cause it looks good and the bulk of pipes are made with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.