PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Yesterday I received a small TAD with some Escudo, a couple GL Pease blends, and a pouch of one of the new MM blends- Missouri Pride - for the heck of it.
I've wanted to find a real simple, burley based, "codger type" for times when I want a short, easy, almost "mindless" smoke.
I threw it in a 1950s Kaywoodie apple and sat on my back porch.
Like every other blend I've tried in this genre- I was disappointed. I really want a blend like this to be for me but, they just aren't. I think at the end of the day I don't like burley forward blends, and I can't seem to come around to aromatics. I found it to be rather short on flavor, and easy to bite. I'm about finished trying blends like this, and in fact, I've got some tobaccos I might offer up for trade, this will probably be in it.
The only other blends I might consider trying is something in that new H&H series - I have a lot of respect for Russ. I have over a pound of Anni Kake in my cellar and am working on a trade to add another 8 oz :)

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
You really don't describe the negative aspects of your experience other than that you were disappointed.

Maybe a burley based 'codger' blend is simple. When you suggest almost mindless, short smokes, I really think what you're going for is an easy loading pipe cut tobacco without the hoopla of preparation that a flake or other forms may require.

I wish you well in your quest, and suggest that your appreciation for burley may be retarded by a variety of reasons, not the least of which might be expectation.

BTW, Russ Oulette certainly IS a master and I've tried several MidTown Series as well as last April's Pax Crawl Oulette blends, and some others too.

He never fails to provide a tasty quality smoke, and he blended Missouri Pride for MM.

nhpro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
Hi tarak,

Give Carter Hall a try in a nice MM Cob, you won't be dissapointed!

I enjoy the fairly short 20-30 minute smoke.
Enjoy!

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Tarak, try Carter Hall, Prince Albert, Captain Black Regular and Russ's Classic Burley Kake. If you don't like any of them, you don't like burley. The first 3 are the old codger blends. Not to say you want find an odd burley blend to suit your tastes, but you would probably spend your money better on other styles.Russ's Classic Burley Kake is da bomb of burley's for me. Good luck.
Pax

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I've had CH, SWR, Half & Half, C&D burley flake, ODF, and now MM Missouri Pride.
I think I don't like burley forward blends :)

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I wouldn't compare Captain Black to Carter Hall or Prince Albert. It's definitely and aro with a propylene glycol top to keep it moist.

The others, not so much...perhaps some sweet adds, but far easier burning.

Status
Not open for further replies.