PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
Has anyone here tried the newer MM maple hardwood pipes? I am not talking about the Ozark Mountain ones, but the maple pipes that are in the style of their cobs.

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
Yes, and I was NOT impressed. Burned very hot, too much wood taste. If you want to try alternate hardwoods, I would suggest the oak, olive or pearwood pipes being made in Eastern Europe.

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
I have not tried them, but I have faith that the company would not produce a product they wouldn't smoke themselfs, seeing as it is owned by pipe smokers. I would like to know if anyone else has tried these so I can get more opinions. Consider this a "bump" post.

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
I know you said not the ozark mountain ones, but I got one of them just today and WHAT a crackerjack smoker. Had three bowls before I could put it down.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I have a Missouri Meerschaum – Genuine American Maple Hardwood Pipe – Diplomat Straight,that I am breakin in even as we speak(so to speak). Being the cheap pipe whore that I am,could not resist. Will let you all know how I believe it breaks in and smokes...

Aug 1, 2012
I have one. I smoked it on a trip and it did have an overwhelming flavor of the wood to the first 3 smokes. It was a bit too much so I switched to a cob and haven't tried it again since. It did smoke cool and dry for me but as I said earlier, the wood was a bit too much. I'll try it again this weekend and see if it does better.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
I love my Ozark Mountain pipes. I especially like them after the fourth or fifth bowl, it seems to be when they are good and seasoned.
It is hard to believe that such a cheap pipe smokes so well. I smoke at least a bowl a day from them. I do like keeping the filter in as I like the draw with the filter in.

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
Now these are the responces I was expecting, bit of a break in and a wonderful pipe afterwords. Of course I am pretty biased on this subject, it's a rate occasion when I'm not smoking a cob from them.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
I have one and love it. I purchased a churchwarden stem off ebay and not I have my "Maple Warden" nice cool tasty smoker. Takes about 3-5 bowls to get em broke in.

Rincewind

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2014
I acquired several of them during the cob shortage that was caused by drought conditions and the retailers were having a tough time keeping some of the cobs in stock, particularly the larger pipes. As I understand it, the maple hardwood pipe was a direct response by MM to try and fill in the time until the cob crops rebounded and they were able to produce at normal levels again. Anyway, the maple pipes smoke fine after a short break-in and the woodsie taste mentioned in other posts will go away. The best thing is, to try one is only going to cost you about $10!

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Funny that this post should pop up. Last week I got 2 in the mail (I plan on giving one to my cousin).
I haven't had time to smoke it yet. I'll take one on the first camping trip on the year and give it a try.

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
Smoked mine a few days ago. I have an affinity for hardwood pipes. Luv 'em.

20140309_161943.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.