PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

carbonmated

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 5, 2015
Got a pouch of this for Christmas, a blend of Virginias, a bit of dark fired and some perique. I smoked the first bowl in a new MM Ozark. The bowl was sanded prior to smoking. This "pouch" if that is what it can be called, was not even sealed. Basically it is an open, plastic bag with 1 piece of tape on it. The tobacco is very dry, not crumble to dust dry, but dry none the less.
Terrible smoking experience. I am not sure if it was the dry blend or the new Ozark burning off the clear coat. Either way, this hands down has been my worst smoke since I began a month ago. I plan to try the blend again in my MM cob legend to see if the awful taste was in fact the new pipe. Although it may solve the terrible taste, I am doubtful it will fix the constant tongue bite this smoke provided.
This could very well be the first tobacco that I dunk into the garbage. It was cheap so I am not losing sleep over it, but I think that any tobacco company would have the package sealed. Also, that any notable place to purchase such item would at least list the item as unsealed from manufacturer so people would know it was dry horse sh*t.
Live and learn, but no more pouches for me. I need to go brush my teeth now :crying:

fmgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2014
I tried this blend a couple of times in a box pass and found it to be pretty good. It had a nutty-earthy feel. Don't give up on it yet!

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

MM Country Gentleman pipe = YES

MM Country Gentleman tobacco = NO
Toss it!

carbonmated

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 5, 2015
Tried it in a new MM Mark Twain straight, the taste was the new Ozark for sure. The bite though.... damn. Too much for me, ill be tossing this most likely. Going to get jars tomorrow, perhaps I can try to hydrate it a bit. Not sure but I cannot smoke it like it is, it's just bad.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I will normally smoke at least a half dozen bowls of a new blend before pitching it unless it isw so vile, that it makes me want to puke. The only blend this heppened to me was with Samuel Gawith Firedance Flake. That tasted like I puked in my mouth. I could barely get past half a bowl, it was so nasty to my taste buda.

carbonmated

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 5, 2015
I will normally smoke at least a half dozen bowls of a new blend before pitching it
I have smoked 3 now. I will hydrate tomorrow and see what happens come Sunday.

stanlaurel

Jan 31, 2015
I've never tried that one but I have a different MM blend. These need to be moved to a jar as you as you receive them. I would put it in a jar and come back to it later. Sometimes blends give a bad first impression for a number of reasons but then turn out great later. It may or may not need to be re-hydrated, but don't throw it away. Put it on the shelf for a while.
MM "American Patriot" is a favorite blend of mine. Very economical yes, but great stuff. Give it a try.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
My 2oz. of MM Country Gentleman was reasonably moist, and I think it is one of the better VaPers/DFK combinations out there. You should call or write the retailer to get a replacement. You could try re-hydrating it, but that's a PITA.
btw, Harris is right about Firedance Flake :lol:

I tolerated a few bowls of it, but then his "puke" description sank in!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think the pipe will improve with use, and so might the tobacco. I'd try the leaf again as is, in a different pipe if you have one. And smoke something else, maybe Carter Hall or something established as pretty good, in the Ozark. It's pure luck when a first voyage with pipe or tobacco is a big success. You can try humidifying the tobacco, then maybe aging it some, before you throw it out. I wouldn't feel too down hearted. This is just part of the experience, and will make it better when you hit those sweet spots. I think the Ozark is one of their little hardwood pipes, so you might want to also try a cob while that is breaking in, which is usually at least not an unpleasant experience. Steady as she goes. There are great pipes and blends out there, and buying on a budget is no obstacle.

carbonmated

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 5, 2015
I gave the blend a few more bowls in a new MM Mark Twain, it is much better but still way too dry for my tastes. I have it hydrating and will let it sit until tomorrow or Monday. The Ozark is a hardwood mso, I am going to run a few bowls of Chelsea Morning through it to kill the horrible smell and taste of the pipe before I give up on it.

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
MM hardwood pipes don't smoke well until they have developed some cake. Until then they have a very undesirable flavor.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
MM Country Gentleman is a favorite of mine, but I only smoke it in a briar pipe dedicated to VaPer blends. I don't like it in a cob. Depending on the Vendor, you should call and ask for a replacement, since the one you received was open. And i agree, try it a couple of different pipes before you give up on it.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with this blend.

I bought it when it first came out and I really like it. Bought a few more pouches and jarred them I liked it so much. :puffy:

nick13

Lurker
Nov 30, 2017
i have couple of pouches of country gentleman. and its very dry. i have tried it in corn cob as well as in briar. but i am not able to find any taste in it. i dont know what to expect in taste. some tounge bite is there.

still not give up on it put in a jar.

can any one please tell me what taste to expect out of it.
i have american patriot and great dane too and like it a lot. in fact great dane is the best aeromatic i have had in my short pipe smoking exp.

curl

Apr 29, 2014
I’ve had nothing but good experiences with this blend.

I have 18 pouches of it in Mylar bags and another in my current rotation.

beezer

Jul 12, 2013
I smoked through a pouch a few years ago and enjoyed it. I remember not being immediately impressed, but it grew on my and over time became quite enjoyable. There are too many other blends I like to circle back around to it, but it was a nice blend while the pouch lasted.

davek

Mar 20, 2014
MM hardwood pipes don't smoke well until they have developed some cake. Until then they have a very undesirable flavor.
This.
Not a fan of the Ozarks. Funny since MM cobs are great. Smoke it hard for a few bowls then coat the inside with honey then shake the ashes in the bowl after a few smokes. Then throw it away.
You could try that blend in different pipe types, a briar, a clay. Or, if you really want to play, buy some pure perique and add a little. Perique will knock down Virginia tobacco's bite dramatically.

Status
Not open for further replies.