(45 posts)
  • Started 4 months ago by mmcobber
  • Latest reply from diamondback
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

mmcobber

Login to Send PM

Corn cob

Hi !

I am a recent pipe smoker and I love it! Been smoking corn cob since the beginning and will only smoke cob!

I got a few questions for you guys

1- Give a 12-24 hours break to my
    Cob between smoke. I only smoke 2 bowls a day. Is it enough rest? I always clean my
    Pipe with a cleaner after each smoke and clean it with grain alcohol about once
    A month.

2- I found that natural pipe smoke cooler than polished with Paris plaster. Is that what you guys are experiencing?

3- I smoke Virginias and blended tobacco in the same pipes, I don’t find nothing wrong with that, what are your thoughts?

4- happy smoking !!

Posted 4 months ago #
  2. aro222

aro222

Login to Send PM

I think perhaps you are being a bit too careful with your cob
    Cobs are meant to be smoked and smoked and Smoked. MM makes imo wonderful pipes and can take a licking and keep on ticking. The more I smoke mine the better it tastes. Enjoy that pipe and don’t be so concerned about different blends and hours between smokes. That’s the beauty of cobs they will never let you down and are made to be your best friend even if that means smoking it 4 times a day with 4 different tobaccos. Those rules are guidelines and are much more directed towards briars.
    Keep it lit brother and enjoy
    Cheers

Keep calm...smoke a pipe.
    Posted 4 months ago #
  3. davet

davet

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Give a 12-24 hours break to my
    Cob between smoke. I only smoke 2 bowls a day. Is it enough rest?

Bowl after bowl, all day, everyday. Won't hurt it a bit. Don't overthink this, it's not rocket surgery.

Posted 4 months ago #
  4. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You smoke them more than once? I generally just stop and buy a cob when I need an emergency pipe, then I just toss them when done. They are so cheap, I just thought that they were disposable, like razors or Bic lighters.

Michael
    Posted 4 months ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

mmcobber

Login to Send PM

Thank all for your thoughts ! I will be smoking those cobs for a real long time!
    Cheers!!

Posted 4 months ago #
  6. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

LOL, Cosmic.

I guess I'm guilty of 'pampering' my cobs: I religiously clean them thoroughly after each smoke and wash the mouthpiece with dish soap and cool water. Then they get to rest for a day. I do this with my briars too, but I'm particularly fastidious with cobs, since they don't have smooth heels and all kinds of gunk can easily build up in those nooks and crannies at the bottom. Of course, I don't do that to pamper the pipe, but because I'm a hygiene freak.

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 4 months ago #
  7. rdavid

Panhandler

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I usually smoke a cob daily, maybe 3 or 4 bowls in between briars. I smoke a lot: 6-12 bowls a day.

Pipe cleaners between smokes is about all I do. I have enough cobs so they usually see 4 or 5 days rest before I see the same one again. So far, so good. I'm thinking I'll get a year out of them at this rate and level of care.

We have a few members here that smoke only cobs.

"May my last breath be drawn through a pipe, and exhaled in a jest." Charles Lamb
    Posted 4 months ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

mmcobber

Login to Send PM

How to tell when your cob is not good anymore? Shouldn’t those last for decades??

Posted 4 months ago #
  9. diamondback

diamondback

Login to Send PM

I’ll wear a cob out. Well, not really, but I’ll take a couple on a ‘burley day’ and rest one while I’m smoking through the other. They get maybe an hour and a half rest each, until I’m through smoking for the day. I scrub the chambers out with a bristled cleaner after each smoke, and the stem out good with a doubled-over bristled cleaner or two maybe every couple of weeks, but have yet to use any alcohol on ‘em. I’ve had some of my cobs since ‘07 when I started and they’re still in rotation to this day. Best part is, I can knock the dottle out against pretty much any hard surface. Don’t need a cork

Plaster of paris... I don’t think I’ve heard of that trick but no big. There’s a whole lot I’ve not heard of! I’ll look into it and check it out. I take it you’re coating the outside of the chamber with it? I’ve got some joint compound/drywall mud in the garage somewhere. Does it have to be actual Plaster of paris?

“Well, I can’t cure death. This is bad, Morty. You’re trapped in a dead man. Listen, if the situation keeps darkening, do yourself a favor and pop by Pirates of the Pancreas. Obviously I’m biased, but I think it’s great, Morty. It’s a bunch of *belches* pirates running around a *belches* pancreas. We don’t whitewash it, either, Morty. I mean, the pirates are really rapey.” - Rick & Morty
    Posted 4 months ago #
  10. mechanic

mechanic

Login to Send PM

I got a mm from walgreens was my second pipe purchase it has been through hell and back ive smoked it bowl after bowl all day long only break it got was while i was asleep it has a little rim darkening other than that i notice no other issue still smokes as good as the day i bought it.

"I'm a kind person, I'm kind to everyone, but if you are unkind to me, then kindness is not what you will remember me for." - Al Capone
    Posted 4 months ago #
  11. mechanic

mechanic

Login to Send PM

Well I did leave it outside overnight on a patio table and the shank expanded from from getting rained on has a little crack but after bringing inside and drying a bit it dosent have any leaks

Posted 4 months ago #
  12. rdavid

Panhandler

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Plaster of paris... I don’t think I’ve heard of that trick but no big. There’s a whole lot I’ve not heard of! I’ll look into it and check it out. I take it you’re coating the outside of the chamber with it? I’ve got some joint compound/drywall mud in the garage somewhere. Does it have to be actual Plaster of paris?

I think he may be referring to "pipe mud". Google search will yield lot's of results. Me, personally don't use it but many others do. It probably does extend the life but I view these as throwaways if they wear out.

Pipe Mud youtube

Miracle Mud

Posted 4 months ago #
  13. User has not uploaded an avatar

mmcobber

Login to Send PM

@ diamondback, MM use plaster of Paris to polish the outside of the cob bowl. I think it safe But I found that with natural cob the bowl get
    Less hot.

Posted 4 months ago #
  14. trouttimes

trouttimes

Login to Send PM

Best way to break in a cob? Smoke it a lot. How long do they last? Till you lose them or sit on them or your kid steals them.

“The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone, I must follow if I can
    Posted 4 months ago #
  15. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like the MM cobs that come with a Vulcanite or acrylic stem, which are usually offered as special series pipes. That way the stem lasts as long as the pipe and doesn't chew through. I regard them as permanent pipes since they can last for decades. Not as long as many briars, but a long time.

Posted 4 months ago #
  16. mechanic

mechanic

Login to Send PM

The stem is only thing i dont like about mine the cheap plastic just dont feel as good on my teeth

Posted 4 months ago #
  17. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

Don't rest the cob. They seriously enjoy abuse. I would know. They only do better the more often they are smoked.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 4 months ago #
  18. pepesdad1

pepesdad1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You can stain them too.

Posted 4 months ago #
  19. rdavid

Panhandler

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You can stain them too.

Oh damn those look good. Stain used please?

Posted 4 months ago #
  20. pepesdad1

pepesdad1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lightly sanded them first, then applied 2 coats of Fiebings Saddle Tan, then glazed it with Dura Clear High Gloss polyurethane varnish (any Hobby Lobby store).

Posted 4 months ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

mmcobber

Login to Send PM

Nice! Thank for all those idea!
    I might smoke my pipe the wrong way but I dont put the steam in my
    Mouth, I just puff it like a cigarette (not the same puffing) but I only
    Put the lip on the tip of the steam

Posted 4 months ago #
  22. User has not uploaded an avatar

redone

Login to Send PM

I have 4 cobs and love them. Prefer using the forever stems with them. Good investment.

Posted 4 months ago #
  23. diamondback

diamondback

Login to Send PM

I’ve been meaning to grab a couple Forever Stems. They were unavailable for a long time. Are they back yet? I’ll googleate a bit and see what turns up

Quick edit: Yes, it appears so.

Forever Stems

Posted 4 months ago #
  24. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was thinking that to spend $26 USD on a stem for a nigh-disposable pipe is a bit out of whack, but those stems are sharp. And I guess you can just toss the pipe and replace it with a new one!

Posted 4 months ago #
  25. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oh, wait... You can't use the medico/balsa filters with the Forever Stems??

Posted 4 months ago #
  26. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Big fan here, and love the original stems.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 4 months ago #
  27. 5star

5star

Login to Send PM

Like a lot of guys,the first pipe I smoked was a MM cob. I still smoke them often now. I prefer a vulcanite Forever Stem and unfinished cobs.

"You are remembered for the rules you break." - General Douglas MacArthur
    Posted 4 months ago #
  28. User has not uploaded an avatar

bent1

Login to Send PM

I dedicate my cobs as my briars per blend type also. IMHO, the un-varnished cobs seem to smoke a bit cooler.

Posted 4 months ago #
  29. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I might smoke my pipe the wrong way but I dont put the steam in my
    Mouth, I just puff it like a cigarette (not the same puffing) but I only
    Put the lip on the tip of the steam

You risk getting saliva down the stem. The button is designed to go past the teeth into the mouth.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 4 months ago #
  30. 3rdguy

3rdguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cobs are great but do try meerschaum and the wood ones!

Posted 4 months ago #
  31. zitotczito

zitotczito

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am a big fan of cobs and my 3 Meers. I smoke a briar for specific blends but I love my CG and it's my go to pipe.

Posted 4 months ago #
  32. tjsgarden

tjsgarden

Login to Send PM

I am a fan of cobs. When I want a simple uncomplicated smoke, I will load it 3/4 full with Prince Albert or Half and Half.

John
    "Two wrongs don't make a right."
    Posted 4 months ago #
  33. odobenus

odobenus

Login to Send PM

A small hole appeared in the bottom of my MM Eaton. Anything you all recommend with which to plug it?

Non Serviam
    Posted 4 months ago #
  34. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

MM cobs are shamelessly forgiving, seem to go out less than other pipes, and will often burn with good flavor to the bottom of the bowl.

Posted 4 months ago #
  35. tulsagentleman

tulsagentleman

Login to Send PM

A small hole appeared in the bottom of my MM Eaton. Anything you all recommend with which to plug it?

The best way is to take $5 to the drugstore and buy a new one. You should get some change back. If you're really cheap, you can plug the hole with some plaster of paris. Good luck.

Posted 4 months ago #
  36. acidpox

acidpox

Login to Send PM

Can anyone say if the the forever stems take 6mm filters? I've been wanting to get one for my great Dane cob but I smoke it with the filter cuz it's my camping/gardening/kayaking pipe and when I do those activities I tend to smoke fast and I like how the filter absorbs the excess moisture.

Posted 4 months ago #
  37. odobenus

odobenus

Login to Send PM

The forever stems don’t accept filters. They are nice, but I hear you about certain activities lending themselves to filtered smoking.

Posted 4 months ago #
  38. trouttimes

trouttimes

Login to Send PM

2nd vote for Forever stems to start making stems that will take balsa filters.

Posted 4 months ago #
  39. recluse

recluse

Login to Send PM

1- Give a 12-24 hours break to my
    Cob between smoke. I only smoke 2 bowls a day. Is it enough rest?

Yes.

2- I found that natural pipe smoke cooler than polished with Paris plaster. Is that what you guys are experiencing?

I've never bothered with that as I've not had a need.

3- I smoke Virginias and blended tobacco in the same pipes, I don’t find nothing wrong with that, what are your thoughts?

If it works for you then there's nothing wrong with it at all.

Posted 4 months ago #
  40. tulsagentleman

tulsagentleman

Login to Send PM

I've never been able to detect any ghosting from smoking different tobaccos in the same pipe. But then I've probably burned off my taste buds from smoking too much.

Posted 4 months ago #
  41. tulsagentleman

tulsagentleman

Login to Send PM

The forever stems look great but I hate to pay twice as much for the stem as for the pipe. Are they worth it? Will they fit any MM cob so I can reuse them if I wear out my cob?

Posted 4 months ago #
  42. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The fact that they don't accept filters kills the deal for me. Besides, I'm not a clencher, so I don't worry about biting through the cheap plastic stem.

Posted 4 months ago #
  43. rdavid

Panhandler

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Geeezzz... The MM stems are only .60 cents apiece. I’ve got a dozen extra ones. I actually like the cheap plastic stems as I can clench and don’t care if I chew them up.

Posted 4 months ago #
  44. odobenus

odobenus

Login to Send PM

Tulsa: The Forever Stems will fit many different cobs. If you go to the Walker Briar Works site
    ( http://www.walkerbriarworks.com/html/forever_stems.html ), they list the specific cobs that will fit with their stems. You can definitely keep using them after the cob has been retired.
    They are high quality, and I have a few, but I also agree with Panhandler that the MM stems are good for clenching, easy to replace, and accept a filter if you're into that sort of thing.
    I use both kinds depending on my mood and activity.

Posted 4 months ago #
  45. diamondback

diamondback

Login to Send PM

Geeezzz... The MM stems are only .60 cents apiece. I’ve got a dozen extra ones. I actually like the cheap plastic stems as I can clench and don’t care if I chew them up.

Hey Panhandler!

I’ve gotten used to those cheap MM stems myself, and keep a few spares on hand. I do want to pick up a couple of the Forevers. I’m a burley lover so my cobs get a lot of use.

Posted 4 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   craig61a, odobenus, disinformatique, condorlover1, monkeylyf