MM Corn Cob Query - How long do they last?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
Greetings All,
I picked up a Missouri Meerschaum Legend Corn Cob (the only style that seems available in the UK) as a cheap way to increase my pipe rotation when I re-started smoking a pipe. I have been very pleased with the way it smokes and I still use it regularly despite a growing number of briar in my collection (PAD I'm afraid). I've read that they don't last all that long and wondered what is it that causes them to fail? Burn through? Also, what can you do to increase their useful lifespan? I know they are cheap to replace, but I do tend to get attached to my pipes and it will be a traumatic day when I have to retire my original Corn Cob! I know - I am a little :crazy:

seanz

May 8, 2011
Southland NZ
I have one that i aquired when it was twenty years old and it is a nice pipe!. that being said its developed a slight bend in the bowl from what i take as being smoked too hot. Be that as it may there are others on here far, far more knowledgable than me.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
I have had mine for over a year now, and it was the only pipe i had and smoked for about 4 months. I still smoke it regularly, i havent had a problem.

riptide

Jul 27, 2010
Colorado
I have one from the 50's that belonged to my Grandfather I t still smokes as long as you don't smoke to hot and keep it cleanish it should last a good while I have noticed that the shank came loose but I just glued it back in and smokes good as new.

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
I had one over 20 years then the front of it split wide open. So yes You can get some years out of them.

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
I've had cobs last me well over 20 years of daily use. The key is proper care and cleaning, which is outlined in my Cob Primer, which is a Sticky in the Pipe Technique section. And since there is no ONE right way of doing things, I offer advice from other experienced cobbers who don't always agree with me.

lyst36

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2011
I've found that they last quite a while if taken care of. I've had two for over a year and I've had some that broke within a month. People tend not to be as gentle with cobs and that is probably a part of it. They smoke great and are not expensive so I don't mind if they break down every now and then.

withnail

Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
Thanks for the replies - It is good to know that I can look forward to many more happy smokes from my Cob and wont have to resort to Mark Twains practice! I love that he said that he hired a "...cheap man--a man who doesn't amount to much, anyhow--who would be as well--or better--dead, and let him break in the pipe for me. I get him to smoke the pipe for a couple of weeks, then put in a new stem, and continue operations as long as the pipe holds together."

macnutz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2011
I always admired that Mark Twain hired someone to break in his cobs. Apparently he was a fierce smoker who went through a lot of cobs when working.

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
You can find my Primer and Buying Guide on Pipedia.
http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=The_Complete_Corncob_primer
http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=Missouri_Meerschaum_Corncob_Buying_Guide

Strike Anywhere

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2011
Central United States
I find that after a while, they start to give the smoke a taste that I do not find enjoyable. Unlike Mr. Twain, I prefer brand-new cobs. For me, they are good for about 75-100 smokes, depending on the cob. After that, the taste starts to turn, and they get retired. They are very cheap, after all. For those wondering, I do run pipe cleaners through them after smokes, and I have even had to ream a cob or two. Cobs aren't meant to last forever, and the way I see it, the more of them I buy, the more I'm helping MM Co. and the American economy.

Reactions: towhee89

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
They last FOR-EV-ER
*disclaimer*

aslongasyoudonotsmokethemandplacetheminanenvironmentthatdoesnotallowanydecomposition :puffy:

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
My first cob (and first new pipe) was a MM Legend. I smoke it almost daily as it travels with me to work and I can choose to stuff it partial and get a keen 30 min. smoke or stuff it full and get 45 minutes of bliss. I have since retired the original yellow stem and had our favorite uncle make an ebonite stem (sans filter) for $15. It is actually my most expensive pipe because of that, seeing as I have yet to pay more than $20 for a pipe.
I love it, clean it semi-regularly and smoke mostly aros through it. I love it and I will always give MM top marks for their All-American works of art!

sailorruss

Lurker
May 3, 2019
Florida
When I first started smoking a pipe, the first round I guess, I had one cob and never had an issue with it except that sour from smoking too fast. I didn't have a problem with and put 200+ through. It never burned through. I'm sure it would work well now.
I miss that pipe...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The Achilles heel on MM cobs are those soft plastic stems. They can be replaced, but it's trouble. Usually for about $25, you can buy one of their special edition pipes with an acrylic stem, or buy an acrylic stem from Forever stems, that will make your MM cob more or less permanent on your rack, especially if you have ten or a dozen pipes or more in rotation. They can and do last for decades, but usually not the stems unless you buy acrylic.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Cobs are my workhorse pipes. I replace the stems every few months. I’ll probably give in and get the forever stems soon

Status
Not open for further replies.