Pipes Magazine » Pipe Talk

Tags:   

MM Cobs As Permanent Pipes

(49 posts)
  1. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've mentioned before, but never as an OP, that to me MM cobs are permanent pipes. I know for many, they are good for yard work, fishing, or just hauling around in a vehicle, so if they get lost, it's no big shakes. And that's a good use for them. But I like them well enough that I have supplied mine with Forever stems or bought the special series that have acrylic stems, and that makes them competitive with any other pipe for light weight, comfort, and good smoking characteristics. Also, I've admired fishnbanjos various admirable cobs that are beauties from the past, illustrating how well they can last, as have some of mine. Does anyone else have this sense of the permanent with their MM cobs? Especially with a large rotation of pipes, the cobs don't show great wear and seem destined to last a long time.

Posted 4 months ago #
  2. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I sometimes have problems even thinking of them as pipes, much less...

Michael
    Posted 4 months ago #
  3. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

All of mine, with exception of some of the seconds I own, are permanent pipes. I've added a forever stem to my Washington Rob Roy and love it. I've bought the Dagner, Charles Towne, Carolina Gent and the St. Patrick's Day pipes and love the acrylic stems they came with. They're mainstays in my collection and rotation. I love them for just about any time I want a no fuss pipe that all I have to do is knock out and go. I clean them and take care of them, and they will be a foundation for all of my pipe smoking. Some blends just seem to taste better in a cob, especially on a hot day. They also handle more bowls at a time than any of my briars do in regards to moisture. They'll always be permanent in my eyes.

"If you can't send money, send tobacco." - George Washington

Posted 4 months ago #
  4. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Never thought of them that way, but why not? With care, they'll last a lifetime. Well, someone's lifetime.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 4 months ago #
  5. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

Mine are definitely forever pipes. No fancy stems are Necessary. Even though I think about it a lot.
    I'd be really disappointed if I lost either of my two oldest cobs. Nothing special about them except the bond we've built.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 4 months ago #
  6. chasingembers

chasingembers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

I've never had to replace a stem, and my oldest are a 10 year old General and a Great Dane egg I picked up 8 or 9 years ago. In some cases they smoke as good as some artisan pieces I've owned, in some cases, better. Never wanted an acrylic stem for them.

I like coffee exceedingly.
    - H. P. Lovecraft
    Posted 4 months ago #
  7. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've never had to replace a stem

Then I don't know how your stems were made, because mine are so soft, that after one smoking session with a brand new one, the bit will already have teeth marks in it, and I don't bite down but just hard enough to keep it from falling out of my mouth.

I wouldn't mind having one of the older versions though. I've liked those old bulldogs they made back in the day with the diamond shank. Those look spiffy!

Posted 4 months ago #
  8. chasingembers

chasingembers

Login to Send PM

I don't bite down when clenching.

Posted 4 months ago #
  9. chasingembers

chasingembers

Login to Send PM

Then I don't know how your stems were made

I always get the orange ones.

Posted 4 months ago #
  10. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The stem issue depends on your clenching habits and comfort. I seem to chew through the standard stems, orange and black, fairly quickly and certainly with some ingestion of plastic bits. I just enjoy a stem that is more permanent for me. If I didn't have that issue, I wouldn't bother with acrylic stems. I have to admit, the acrylic stems can add a bit of flair, an orange swirl Forever stem that I wouldn't put on anything but a cob but that looks great (to me). I tried softie bits, but the puffiness of those activates my jaw muscle and aggravates my teeth. Once I get the stems right, cobs are keepers.

Posted 4 months ago #
  11. chasingembers

chasingembers

Login to Send PM

I just like how the orange ones change color over time.

Posted 4 months ago #
  12. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I may refer to cobs as disposables but, there are three in my shop that are at least 25 years old. And, I do get acceptable smoking experiences from cobs. In fact, some of my best ever bowls have been from a cob, watching a sunset as I float the last fly of the day in a creek, hoping for a dinner. But, I buy them purely for the value. They are my "beaters".

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 4 months ago #
  13. tulsagentleman

tulsagentleman

Login to Send PM

I consider my cobs to be more or less permanent pipes. I know for sure that they are tough. I have this black lab pup who loves to chew on things. She found one of my oldest and dearest cobs and decided to "rusticate" it for me. It still smoked fine although I have since replaced the stem.

Posted 4 months ago #
  14. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

Yes Embers, my stems get very dark over time. And now since this thread, I think I'll buy myself a forever stem.

Posted 4 months ago #
  15. chasingembers

chasingembers

Login to Send PM

These are still my favorites.

Posted 4 months ago #
  16. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not a fan of cobs. Still, I do my best to keep the ones I do have in as good shape as possible. Part of my upbringing.

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 4 months ago #
  17. ray47

ray47

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have 45 cobs and treat them just like I do my briars and meers. They are definitely permanent pipes in my opinion.

Posted 4 months ago #
  18. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Then I don't know how your stems were made, because mine are so soft, that after one smoking session with a brand new one, the bit will already have teeth marks in it...

You may have to ease up on that Ferengi Tooth Sharpener, CCW...

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 4 months ago #
  19. User has not uploaded an avatar

redone

Login to Send PM

Love cobs and get the forever stems for them. Will keep them in my rotation for life. Great smoking pipes.

Posted 4 months ago #
  20. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You may have to ease up on that Ferengi Tooth Sharpener, CCW...

Yeah, well, you've never had a cleaner feeling mouth than after one sharpening session. It really leaves you feeling invigorated, although it might make cobs a single use item. Well, at least the stem, anyway.

Posted 4 months ago #
  21. dcon

dcon

Login to Send PM

I have 8 MM cobs and more on the way. I recently started modding them. I really enjoy it and them I have always bought extra stems and have begun using Forever Stems for the mods. I like the ability to create a look and they are definitely sturdier than stock. They will only replace the filtered cobs’ stems. I don’t use filters and like my stock unfiltered cobs as well

Duane
    (Not Embers)
    Posted 4 months ago #
  22. pepesdad1

pepesdad1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I, too, think of them as permanent pipes...I like to dress them up a bit by staining them...here are three examples of staining and dressing them up for public consumption.

Posted 4 months ago #
  23. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I’ve had these Dagner’s for 3 years. They are permanent in my rotation.

Neal
    Posted 4 months ago #
  24. seanv

seanv

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I consider my cobs to be permanent but I am hard on them. They are my work and driving pipes

Posted 4 months ago #
  25. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

After many years of debating, due to this thread I finally ordered a forever stem.

Posted 4 months ago #
  26. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

I also see them as permanent pipes and take well care of them.

Javan
    Posted 4 months ago #
  27. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm so glad that Rom made it into a thread on here!

I have a hardwood cob and don't see the reason to get rid of it. It is just as solid as it was years ago when it was gifted to me.

Posted 4 months ago #
  28. anantaandroscoggin

anantaandroscoggin

Login to Send PM

Cobs are forever pipes for me as well.

I've burned out one McArthur with a load of black cavendish I probably shouldn't have stuffed it with (its replacement is smoking just fine).

I've had to replace the stem on my bent General, as the one it came with softened and bent just enough to permanently put an end to the mortise and tenon sealing tight enough to get a draw from the bowl. I may have been unconsciously imitating an pufferbilly engine for a few weeks when that happened.

The only one not in the rotation very often is the nose warmer, as I'm not very partial to short-short pipes.

Posted 4 months ago #
  29. trouttimes

trouttimes

Login to Send PM

I like cobs and never considered them disposable. I wish Forever stems would fit my Country Gentleman.

“The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone, I must follow if I can
    Posted 4 months ago #
  30. dcon

dcon

Login to Send PM

+1trouttimes, i have a couple of Country Gentleman and would like to mod others but, there is no Forever Stem availability for the unfiltered MMs. I realize that it is undoubtedly a small piece of a small market but, it would be nice to have. Maybe when I get to retirement I will have the time to fashion my own.

Posted 4 months ago #
  31. User has not uploaded an avatar

jpbrewer

Login to Send PM

They will never get the respect they deserve because they're so inexpensive, particularly when compared to every functional equivalent (and there are few). They're the Corvette of pipes, I suppose.

Posted 4 months ago #
  32. anantaandroscoggin

anantaandroscoggin

Login to Send PM

do you perchance mean the corvair of pipes?

Posted 4 months ago #
  33. aro222

aro222

Login to Send PM

I love my MM Cobs and still keep them in my regular rotation. I have one for work and long drives home in traffic which is more of a beater pipe, but , I also have another 4 which are in my regular rotation and get cleaned and treated like my briars. They are great smokes and with some blends actually perform better than my briars. Nothing like smoking a cob while sitting by a bonfire with a cold beer on a summer night.
    Definitely a permanent pipe for me.

Keep calm...smoke a pipe.
    Posted 4 months ago #
  34. trubka2

trubka2

Login to Send PM

After many years of debating, due to this thread I finally ordered a forever stem.

Me too! Got it today. Since they're made in Ann Arbor, home of U Michigan, had to go with the old Maize and Blue in honor of my alma mater.

The first smoke blew my mind - richer, creamier, cooler, drier, etc.. I already loved my cobs, often preferring them to briar and meer, but the Forever Stem is a real game changer. This will be the first of many. The original orange (well, kind of dark brown now) plastic stems on my Legends will always have a place, though - can't get much more lightweight than that.

Posted 4 months ago #
  35. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

Just made my cob officially permanent today. The stem was 3x as much as the pipe, but it was well worth it. May be buying more in the future.

Posted 4 months ago #
  36. trubka2

trubka2

Login to Send PM

Like that orange swirl, looks sharp! I wasn't really thinking about the added weight when I ordered the one with all the doodads and stuff on it. Doh! Next time, I'll go with one more like yours. Looks better, too - more elegant.

I think they're totally worth the money. I mean, the "forever" means it makes the pipe last forever too, right?

Posted 4 months ago #
  37. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

Trubka2 yours looks beautiful, but yes looks heavy. I'll be ordering a nose warmer one for my oldest cob very soon. And yes your right, they are game changers!

Posted 4 months ago #
  38. charf

charf

Login to Send PM

I had cobs at first and then bought some briars but I’m back on a cob bender at the moment. They really smoke well. Never disappoint. Still on the journey though, lots of ground still to cover.

Posted 4 months ago #
  39. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

Just got my nosewarmer finally! It was sent to my old address and I thought I lost it. But luckily it was sent back to Walker Briar Works and sent to my new home.

All my problems have been solved. There is almost no need in my life for a briar anymore....almost...

As permanent as it gets!

I feel another thread coming soon ...

Posted 3 months ago #
  40. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have 2 Legends still in the rotation from the late 70'S...

"the weez"...
    Posted 3 months ago #
  41. franbo

franbo

Login to Send PM

My cobs reside in my truck, tackle box and jacket pocket. As I burn through them (the bottoms eventually burn through) or I break them, I throw them away. They are my favorite pipes for burley blends, mostly a summertime thing.

"If you can't send money, send tobacco." -George Washington to the Continental Congress, 1776
    Posted 3 months ago #
  42. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Coming up on my 5th yr of steady piping. Started with a MM Legend from the drug store w/o any knowledge of the online presence of a 'pipe community'.
    I chain smoked that cob for at least a month, well, let's just say that everytime I smoked, I smoked that pipe, and I was burning bagged burley I'd been rolling. I inhaled too.

I still smoke that Legend regularly and no longer inhale.
    This forum has been integral to my enjoyment of this most pleasant form of tobacco indulgence.

I wonder which of the Walker replacement cob stems are the most comfortable? I guess that too, is subjective.

Posted 3 months ago #
  43. buck17

buck17

Login to Send PM

I have a few and agree that they are part of the rotation and used for certain tobacco. Permanent enough for me. I also have one forever stem.

Posted 3 months ago #
  44. User has not uploaded an avatar

michiganlover

Login to Send PM

I used to smoke cobs almost exclusively, I never burned out a cob, but had one or two that I retired, because they looked super ugly; although they still smoked great.

All of the cobs I regularly smoke (which is probably around 10 of the larger bowl cobs) all now have Forever Stems, or the MM equivalent (like the Dagner Poker, and Charles Town Cobbler).

I now have a small collection of Savenilli pipes which distract from my cobs getting all of the love, but I still smoke a cob nearly daily on my way too/ from work.

Posted 3 months ago #
  45. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

That's funny, I think cobs are ugly untill they get about a couple hundred bowls worth through them!

Posted 3 months ago #
  46. ophiuchus

ophiuchus

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I’ve long since given up the notion of cobs being cheap disposable pipes. I’ve got a bunch of them, most of them over 10 years old (including one from the late 80s and one from 1992), in part because I underestimated their longevity. I’ve got a Legend and a Country Gentleman that both looked like they were headed for burnout ... and I just can’t kill these things!

Posted 3 months ago #
  47. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

I wanna see those old cobs opiuchus!

Posted 3 months ago #
  48. ophiuchus

ophiuchus

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I wanna see those old cobs opiuchus!

They're mostly still packed from the move ... but fair enough. I'll see what I can dig up.

In the meantime, a teaser:

Though the image was captured in 2014, the 1992 Legend is on the right.

1992 on top. I put a filter in the stem to illustrate the degree of darkening/discoloration over time.

Posted 3 months ago #
  49. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

Looks brand new still! Good grief!

My oldest cob from 2012 ish has been repaired twice!

Posted 3 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   edgranholm, lawdawg, mityahicks, jiminks, georged, cortezattic, cosmicfolklore, prairiedruid, frozenchurchwarden, ben88, hugodrax, dmcmtk, brooklynpiper, pepesdad1, blues4goose, hauntedmyst