PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsteam86

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2018
What about a show dedicated to the Missouri Meerschaum Cobbit line of pipes or just the Missouri Meerschaum pipes in total.

leatherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2017
I have the Shire Cobbit. Its a great pipe, the chamber is smaller than some of the other cob shapes, great for a 20 minute smoke.

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
I bought a Dwarf and sent it along to a buddy to use without trying it... stem was too loose fitting in the shank. Spun freely.

I'd get a Shire if it had a filtered stem instead.

leatherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2017
I could swear my Shire came with the paper filter. That being said, I've seen the Cobbit pictured with two kinds of stems.
Mine is the second type.

31fztspg5l_sy400_.jpg

cobbit_shire_pipe-600x600.jpg

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
Maybe they did at one point, but apparently not anymore.

I'd be happy to have a good filtered semi or full churchwarden stem and slap it on my bent Country Gent and I'll just call it "The Ranger" thereafter.

Anyone at MM listening? lol

leatherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2017
I just checked my Shire, I don't believe it would have come with a filter, the stem is only drilled like 3/16ths max. My mistake.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I got the Shire with the original style stem. I had a problem with it and broke it off the first time I went to remove it.

Now I use the remnant as a stem on my Eaton, and it makes a terrific 'warden' style pipe!

The original stem had ridges along the sides on the tenon, and the twist and pull method of removing a stem failed me.

MM provided a replacement at no charge and I sanded off the ridges on that one.

I haven't been smoking the Shire much at all lately. It seems to have a problem keeping a good draft. It's way too opened.

I've just not packed it properly, likely, but it's been more hassle than other pipes in my rotation.

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
The forever stems look great, just don't accommodate a filter is the problem.

I just like the balsa wood in there cause it really helps keep the moisture down.

johnsteam86

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2018
Generally what I do when I get them cause most of them fit a little to tight for my taste is get some very fine grit sandpaper and run in around the base of the stem a couple times before lighting. It makes them a little bit looser and easier to take apart after smoking. I wouldn't do it to much or else you might have to get a new stem and start over again.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I’m still just getting used to the fact that my cobs smoke as good or better than some of my favorite briars!
That's the thing, most cobs will smoke as good as a briar.

Status
Not open for further replies.