PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Well I read Russ's article on this site a few days ago about the cob pipe. In my 20+ years of smoking pipes (on and off over the years) Iv'e never tried one! So I went and ordered a bag of these. They arrived two days later. All I can say is WOW!! Yes, there are very minor imperfections in these, but you really have to look hard to see them! I am extremely pleased, and can't wait to try them. I ended up with:

2 Diplomat straight apples

2 Diplomat straight fifth ave's

1 Great Dane straight spool

1 Missouri Pride straight

2 Pony express

2 Bent Legends
The price for all was $37.45 DELIVERED!! If purchased separately as "firsts" it would have been $69.61 DELIVERED!

Tremendous value here, and My Hat's off to a great, well run, American Company!!

I am in no way affiliated with MM, just giving credit where credit is due!

tlag77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
I have been thinking about getting a bag myself, ya can't beat it for the price.

larrylegend

Lurker
Jan 3, 2014
I think I will pick up a bag of these soon. You really can't beat the price for what you get. A great way to increase your collection and even better to use for sampling new blends.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Cobs are the best kept secret there is. If I liked straight stems, I'd order the seconds. As it is, I have to buy the bend stems, but it's still worth the higher price. Enjoy your pipes in good health!

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Yes, I think these would be perfect for trying new blends. I was thinking about yardwork, and fishing, hunting, travelling etc.. Times when you don't want to risk losing/breaking an expensive briar.

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
You convinced me. Just ordered a bag of seconds. Now if a guest wants to give the pipe a try I am ready for 'em. :D

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Elpfeife-

Good point! These are perfect for sharing with guests, or initiating newbies into the hobby! Let me know what you think of your grab bag. I live in Ohio and they arrived in two days.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Cobs are awesome. They do things that no other pipe can do.
(a) They cost next to nothing, so you can pad your rotation and rest your briars.

(b) You can drop them overboard and care more about the Escudo you just gave to the fishies.

(c) American made (sorry China).

(d) They don't flavor the tobacco, unless you have the palate of a Russ Oulette, and even then it's a good thing.

(e) Like beefeater said, perfect for introducing a new smoker who just realized you weren't actually smoking weed.
Cobs are awesome.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Over the past few years I've used a good deal of bandwidth, here in the forums, bashing corncob pipes.

But I must admit, I just had one of the best smokes of the day with G&H's Top Black Cherry in a Country Gentleman.

(Maybe I'll try a bowl of Stonehaven tomorrow.)

novicemaker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 12, 2014
it is a great buy, and i read the comments and while every bag is different most got a bunch of legends and other really nice pipes some got the really big ones which id love to get. been seriously thinking about getting a bag of these because my last and first experience was with a cob and i loved it. Just dont do what i did i smoke to hot. You can get a nice warm sweetness from the corn that some can and can not taste. Try a blend you were not very happy with and you might find you love it in a cob, just note that you might find out your favorite blend doesn't suit you in a cob. all comes down to taste. enjoy your great bag of cobs.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For the price of one lower-level briar pipe you can get ten fine-smoking MM cobs that by themselves will provide

a good rotation. You can't beat it. This is great for any pipe smoker, but for someone who, for budgetary reasons

or philosophical reasons doesn't want to put money into pipes, this is the way to go. I might add soft bits to the

pipes if they are your only pipes, to make the stems last, or alternatively, buy Forever stems, but those are

details. (What philosophical reasons, you might ask. I'm thinking of the folks who prefer to keep their pleasures

simple and inexpensive and avoid buying any expensive or showy things. I think it was Thoreau who said avoid any

activity that requires you buy new clothes.)

Status
Not open for further replies.