PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Just visited the Missouri Meerschaum site from the Forums link and ordered a Dagner poker cob, which I've been coveting for a while. While poking around the site, I came upon a note informing customers that all their prices will go up in October, after some years with no price increases. So if you are filling your MM cob needs, you may want to do so before this occurs. Even with an incremental price increase, these are tremendous bargains. Some consider cobs a disposable pipe, and for those who take them camping, fishing, and in their vehicles, that's probably the right attitude. But in fact, cobs can be a permanent feature of your stable for decades or longer. I've outfitted mine with Forever stems in some cases. I have a large freehand (natural) that came with an acrylic stem. The attractive feature on the Dagner is the acrylic stem, in addition to its sitter feature and nickel band, pricey for a cob, very little money for a pipe. So, just a heads up from the Missouri Meerschaum people, if you're buying cobs, sometime before October is a good time to get them.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The prices go up October 1, so be advised. The bag of seconds currently sells ten pipes for $33.99, so I would expect it to go up by whatever percentage other items increase. I don't know what that will be, so make your own guess. Five or ten percent, I'd surmise, knowing nothing.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
MSO, you are absolutely right: MM cobs will still be bargains and long-serving pipes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm smoking my quite-large bent freehand MM cob with an acrylic stem, glad I have seven cobs on the rack at yesterday's prices, and another in the mail at today's prices. I'm smoking P&C's Midtown Chestnut non-aro tub tobacco, which goes very well in the tall bowl. And by coincidence I'm wearing my MM cob pipe feed cap which I received, the last one they had, as a giveaway at the 2016 TAPS pipe show, which retails at about $11 if I remember.

bluegrasspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2017
Mso- I bet the seconds will only go up a few dollars though, I'm sure you're right. I have been procrastinating on pulling the trigger on one of those bags for a while now.

I do however really like that dagner poker though good choice, but it's 2/3's as much as a whole bag of seconds.. Maybe with a little luck my seconds bag will have one. :lol:

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Wow I'm glad I have a few unsmoked extras on hand. At the rate of punishment mine take while still holding up, they should last me a long time.

cosmicbobo

May 11, 2017
Thanks for the word, MSO. I intend on at least two more cobs this year. This month, however, I am working on some more pipes from Ukraine, as well as a Yello Bole that will be the daughter of Der Bingle and FDR's pipe. Bidding on a Squat Bulldog and a carved clay.

For someone who smokes a bowl a day I have sort of dived in. On the good side, not smoking a dozen bowls like days of old keeps me from tongue burn.

Cosmo

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I should have mentioned, the MM website says that the last time prices went up on their products was January 1, 2011, so that's a six-plus yeas stretch of stable prices. They point out that while inflation is low, their costs are up.

josephcross

Dec 30, 2015
I love my cobs. Especially on blends that just smoke wet, no matter the dry time( I'm looking at you Dark Star). Need to get a bag is seconds.

kirkland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
Years back (5-6 years) I bought some 1970 MM cobs on ebay. I think it was a set of 25 different pipes..and they all have vulcanite stems. Some have diamond shanked stems as well. They were all mounted in this pretty fancy MM logo plastic case too.
I don't smoke cobs like I once did (my very first pipes were cobs when I took up pipe smoking at age 14) so I have enough cobs for life.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Tom, you might be surprised by how small those Dagners are. Where did you find a freehand with an acrylic stem? Every one I've bought had a big vulcanite one.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
chasing', my wife gave me the MM freehand, and somewhere I saw they were fitted, at one time not long ago, with an acrylic stem. So I assumed that's what I had. When I was shopping for the Dagner, I looked at the freehand offered, and it was listed with a Vulcanite stem, so I examined mine more closely. Now, I believe you are correct. It came very bright and shiny, but now I think it is Vulcanite. Or I'm very suggestible. But this does seem softer than acrylic. The size of the Dagner is given at the MM site, and it sounds like a short pipe with an ample bowl. However, if it comes as a Group 2 after all, I can use it -- with plug, flake, and rope -- for a pretty good smoke. Supposedly, the cob crops have been a little bigger the last year, so maybe the bowls are too. Hope so. But thanks for the warning; I'll try to remember to let you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.