PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
In addition to all my other briars I've bought the past week, I added a new pipe to my stable of cobs. A Carolina Gent that finally got restocked and I have been wanting one to add to my collection of MM collaboration pipes. I now own a Dagner Poker, Charles Towne Cobbler and a Carolina Gent! I'm smoking it up right now with a little Boswell's Premium Burley and it's mighty tasty!
20190211_191617-600x482.jpg

bouwser

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2018
That one looks quite nice. Country Gentleman bowl on that? If so, nice and big!

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Well, I already have a country gentleman with a bent stem. This one would still be a bit shorter. I did order some more amber plastic bits. I really do think I'm going to buy some forever stems one day. They just have too many options. Figured if I do it, I want a little color in mine instead of just black.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Is that stem orange or crimson? Good looking pipe, with its ample bowl. I can see me ordering one of those. I'm also the owner of several MM cobs with Forever stems, which have been totally worth it. They really upgrade the pipes. But it's good to not have to upgrade the pipe but to buy it with a good acrylic stem.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Bill, I got mine directly from the folks at MM. Ordered it Thursday night and it was waiting for me yesterday when I got home. Super quick!
Tom, I believe it's a red of some sort. That was one of the reasons I liked it. Believe it's country gentleman bowl, just turned into a nose warmer. Outside of the collaborations, the only other cobs I have are from the seconds bag. There's a few I could buy forever stems for, but a few are a little rough, hell, one developed a hole in the bottom below the shank. So I may invest in some of the actual not-from-a-seconds-bag just to have nicer cobs to put forever stems on, like maybe a George Washington or a few legends, maybe a nice diplomat, I haven't decided fully yet.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
I haven't tried them yet. Still trying to get my head around the whole long stem thing. Thought MM cobb would be a great way to dip my toe in the water.

cerfer

Might Stick Around
May 8, 2017
Nice pipe!
I have a Dagner Cob/Poker. I really like it, and it's the only thing that's keeping me from ordering a Carolina Gent.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Hey, for the price and also since they're available right now, I wouldn't give it a second thought. I just made it a point to own every single collaboration they make since getting the Cobbler, and I love my Cobbler.
Trout, I love my churchwardens, and to be honest, I don't think these are quite up to a full churchwarden. They seem to be more of a mid-range, so if you're intrested in trying one to work up to a full sized warden, these are likely the place to start for the money. I did see that MM does have the Dwarf Cobbit in stock right now, but the bowl is a little too small for me. If I got one, I'd want the elf AND the Shire, likely, which both stay sold out.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In terms of functionality, the Dagner and Carolina gent are similar, a good ample bowl and a short stem. I like any of the MM cobs that come with an acrylic stem that lasts a long time and doesn't chew through. The 'Gent has an interesting tomato red stem. I own both and don't feel they are redundant, just two great MM cobs with permanent stems.

Reactions: radrick96
Status
Not open for further replies.