PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dalby

Lurker
Aug 17, 2013
Less than a month into the pipe lifestyle, and I've landed on English blends as my go to smoke.

I've read reviews that say Dunhill's My Mixture 965 is not the same as it was, that it is not nearly as good as it once was- before it's departure from the U.S. market for a few years.

So my questions are: those who have had the pleasure of smoking the "old" mixture, what am I missing out on? and is there a mixture that mimics the original?
dalby

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Really the question is; do you like what you have? Many decry the newer versions of the "classic" blends but it is to no avail. They are not around. So judge the current blends by what they are and if you like it then you're a lucky man. I've had the older incarnations of most of the legendary blends but that was then. I sincerely doubt that there is an overwhelming difference that would cause one to eschew the "new" blend because it is not what it was 40 or 50 years ago.

I've been smoking a pipe for 43 years and I doubt I could tell the difference in most blends from that long ago.

Enjoy what you like and Happy Smoke Rings. 20 years from now you'll be having the same conversation with new pipers.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Memories are an amazing thing. Chasing what was is an expensive and, really, pointless one at that. My advise, put away tins of blends you enjoy. Let them age a bit and forget about what was before your time. That being said, I've smoked a tin or ten of the old Dunhill blended tobaccos. They were simply amazing.
Mike S.

dalby

Lurker
Aug 17, 2013
thank you for the responses :)

I do really enjoy the blends I have and am trying new ones often.
dalby

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
With apologies to Lee Trevino (or Connie Hawkins, depending on your source): The older I get, the better "insert classic blend name here" used to be.

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
I haven't tried the old one, but am quite partial to the new MM965. Smoking it now as a matter of fact.

B

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
I started with the pre-Murray 965 in 1961 and it was one of my favorites at the time. Luckily, I prefer the current Orlik based 965 to the bunch of Murray era tins I have stashed.
hp

les

loneredtree

May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
+1 pipeguy
Really the question is; do you like what you have? Many decry the newer versions of the "classic" blends but it is to no avail. They are not around. So judge the current blends by what they are and if you like it then you're a lucky man. I've had the older incarnations of most of the legendary blends but that was then. I sincerely doubt that there is an overwhelming difference that would cause one to eschew the "new" blend because it is not what it was 40 or 50 years ago.

I've been smoking a pipe for 43 years and I doubt I could tell the difference in most blends from that long ago.

Enjoy what you like and Happy Smoke Rings. 20 years from now you'll be having the same conversation with new pipers.
I could not agree more. There are so many good blends today that all you need to do is find the ones you like.
:puffpipe:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm strongly attached to the current Dunhill 965; I never smoked the old one. I was around then, but cash strapped

and content with other less expensive tobacco. I would put 965 up there with Nightcap and Nat Sherman 536, two other

favorites. It's true, memory exalts most things. The soils may have been better fifty plus years ago, less polluted.

However, my suspicion is that the global market, increased discretionary spending, and more sophisticated blending

today probably mean that what we have now is as good as it has ever been. Maybe not, but likely so. Still, I wouldn't

ever dissuade some old timer from remarking on the golden days, the good old days, when everything was better and

more wonderful. At some point, we all need that.

jbbaldwin

Aug 1, 2012
Didn't someone post a listing of ingredients by percentage for some of the Dunhill blends on this forum a few months ago? I seem to recall some propylene glycol in the mix, which, I assume was not in Murray's version. That might make a difference, at least psychologically.

thedudeabides

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2013
Great Hiatus by the Sherlock Holmes Pipe Club reminds me of MM965. I have had the Murray's and Orlik versions of 965 and actually enjoy both, as well as the aforementioned Great Hiatus. I recommend it.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Apparantly ol' lime bastard by b&b is the same as the old 965 and only half the price

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Is there a link to ol' lime bastard? I don't see it on the BnB tobacco pape and couldn't find a "B&B" tobacco.

There is a B&B Tobacco in Harrisonburg VA, but it doesn't list tobacco either (Link is empty).

http://www.bnbtobacco.com/pipe-tobacco/

http://bandbtobacco.wordpress.com/pipe-tobacco/
Nevermind, I found it. (Old Limey Bastard). But, it is $8.99/2 oz - same as Dunhill MM965 in a tin....(at least from 4noggins). P&C International has MM965 tins for $7.95 at their PA store.

http://www.4noggins.com/becks-ol-limey-bastard.aspx

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
Nevermind, I found it. (Old Limey Bastard). But, it is $8.99/2 oz - same as Dunhill MM965 in a tin....(at least from 4noggins). P&C International has MM965 tins for $7.95 at their PA store.
Yeah, but in bulk it works out to $2.79/oz.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Al - yup - have some OLB, as well as H&H Ambassador, Altadis 965 'Match', C&D #965 Tuggle Hall, and a few other variations on the theme that I don't recall just now. They are all reminiscent of the real thang, whether Orlik recent, Orlik Euro, Murray's or pre-Murray's. When I got back into piping, Dunhill had just vacated the US market, so I went on a mission to nab a bunch of remaindered tins and find alternatives. Again, remind me for the next time we get together, whether it's Morley's, NYCPC, Northern NJ gang, The Wooden Match or Boswell's.
hp

les

Status
Not open for further replies.