PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 4, 2015
I've been trying to put my finger on Mixture 79, and have decided that, although it's not a perfect match, hard root beer (the alcoholic kind) pairs really well with 79. 79 to me in the tub smells more like Dr. Pepper, but a root beer with a kick drunk with this blend is delightful.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I totality agree. Unfortunately, after I had my gallbladder removed, I can no longer drink anything with alcohol. I switched to A&W Root Beer when I smoke Mixture 79 and that works just fine.

randelli

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 21, 2015
What kind of root beer?
My family went on a root beer quest and determined that not all root beers were the same; and that we could essentially divide root beer into three catagories: pizza, floats, and sipping. Generally speaking we turned into root beer snobs...
Pizza: you need a spicy root beer to stand up to the sauce and seasonings. A mellow or sweet root beer gets lost here. Barq's or Mug is our go to here.
Floats: this root beer should have some zing; but be predominantly heavy in vanilla and honey. A&W or Hires works well for this.
Sipping: this is the perfect root beer to sit and relax with. Thick and creamy, balanced spice and sweet, and perfect by itself - almost a religious experience. Henry Weinharts private reserve is amazing. It is like a root beer float without the ice cream dilutions. I can't find HWPR since we moved to Texas. Boy do I miss those!
Don't get me started on root beer vs root beer flavored fizzy sugar water!
What root beer did you have with your mixture 79?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
IBC is my go to for root beer and cream soda, though oddly, I never thought of pairing it with Mixture 79. Usually drink licorice tea with it. Will definitely give root beer a try with it!

aeropuffer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2016
OKAY? Do you drink the root beer while smoking 79 or do you add it to the 79 as a topping.I have some root beer vape, I could give a squirt to the 79 and try that.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Randelli-
Thanks for the primer on rootbeer. Fond of the stuff.
Growing up in Illinois we called floats 'Black Cows'... Anyone else?y

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Love me a good rootbeer...IBC, A&W all good. Dollop of vanilla ice cream, or even just a shot of cream or half&half (the dairy product not the tobacco). I cringe at the thought of ruining the experience of a root beer with the maggot-gagging taste of Mixture 79.

Status
Not open for further replies.