PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Like zydeco, some love it... and the rest avoid it, quivering in their tobacco-warrens twitching.
Those who love it, tell us why you love it.
It would be great if we could all be gentlemen and nod and smile, have a sip of whisky, etc. if we violently disagree.
I say it can't be worse in flavor than Lakelands, which are otherwise some of the best tobaccos out there.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I'd have been interested in trying it just to come up with an opinion. However, when scarface just mentioned licorice I know I'll dislike it.

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
When Peck started proclaiming his undying affection for this blend, I decided to cellar it in force. Now that I have tubs of the stuff I hope to develop a taste for it. if not I will send it to some of the Canadian brethren who will smoke anything that can get through customs! :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Licorice? Um, I'll pass. But consider, Mixture 79 is still here, and being sold, whereas Walnut, which was widely appreciated, is gone. Go figure.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Miley Cyrus sells more records than Slayer, and Jared Diamond is more popular than Sam Huntington.

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
My dad smoke this stuff. I might have tried it years ago but don't remember. Irish Flake and Heinrichs Dark Strong Flake are outstanding. There can be no relationship between them and 79, just can't be!!!

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
If you like the licorice flavor, perhaps. I thought it might be a near-miss.
I have to admit, that was a great review, and this line steers me away:
I like the flavor but it's shitty quality and goops up your pipe.
Having struggled to remove eau de aro a few times, I'm sort of wary...

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I smoke Mixture 79 on average about 3 times a week and I like the taste and the aroma. Reminds me of the aroma in my mom's laundry room when I was growing up. I find that after smoking a third of the bowl, the taste of the tobacco comes thru. I dedicate 3 cobs and 2 briars to this blend because it leaves a permanent ghost in the pipe.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Thanks, scarface and ray47. This dials it all back to a realistic view: it's a decent OTC that shocks many with its anise/licorice topping, or so it sounds to me. If I ever see any in the wild, I'm going to try it for the experience.
Are you saying Huntington is better than Diamond?
Somewhat of an apples to oranges comparison, so I decline any particular comment, but I certainly find Huntington more useful. He's one of the great thinkers.

Status
Not open for further replies.