PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

willisk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 27, 2018
Do y’all mix the remnants of the tin with other remnants and if so have you ever found a surpriseingly good smoke by doing so?
I ask cause I noticed last week that I had a few laying in the closet with not quite enough for a bowl. I refuse to throw out any Baccy even if I don’t like

It. So I mixed the remaining peaches and cream with some remaining cube cut burly and a dash dark flake and gave it a good shake then proceeded

To smoke it. Wow was it good, so good I immediately went online while I was enjoying it and reordered all three so that I could re create it!!

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I've tried it a few times and found I ended up changing a good next bowl to mediocre more often than I randomly created something magical. This is what small cobs are for. If it's less than that, I toss it or save it to put in with the same blend when I open a new tin of it.

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
Some refer to this as "Gods Blend." Or P&C has the best of the rest. I have a jar I've been funneling remnants into for about a year. Even cut off cigar caps I throw in.

How it'll all taste remains to be seen. It's mostly Va/VaPer/burley with some English and balkan and no aros.

redone

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2018
I do it all the time, with leftovers from my coffee filters I use to carry the tobacco outside for the smoke when it’s no longer a full bowl.

Jan 8, 2013
This topic comes up quite often. I basically have two. All of my balkans and non aromatics go in a jar I call The Black Dragon's Rage. All of my aromatics go in a jar I call Puff'n Stuff.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Pipe chamber volume ranges are so dramatic, I just select the appropriate pipe for that last bowl. I takes very little tobacco to fill my 20-30 minute Featherweight and some of my deeper and wider briars are good for up to 3 hours. That's why when my supply is getting low I let the amount in the tin or jar help me select the pipe.

ccdeere

Might Stick Around
May 15, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
I've got a jar set aside with various remnants as well as most of tin of one of the John Cottons that showed up overly dry from P and C (tin seal had been broken at some time before shipping and it was overly dry). Haven't dipped in yet. Vast mix of different tobacco.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
I have one jar of unholy alliances labeled "Lucifer's Tongue".
It is aptly named, however, as I seem to echo hoosierpipeguy's experience.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
My leftover jar is called bastard mixture. I’ve yet to smoke it. I am planning to press it with a homemade press and see what happens.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I do this all the time, but selectively, and I try to keep it simple, adding the small remaining amount from a tin or jar to a thoughtfully selected blend. I don't just put all the remnants in a jar; I've tried that, but the taste was indeterminate and sometimes harsh. I try to do the mixes with due consideration, and often it comes out tasty enough, and other times it is surprisingly good.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
An afterthought: I think non-aromatics tend to work better as the base or as a condiment. Aromatics have various flavorings that are more likely to combine with others and not taste as good or taste somewhat bad. With luck, there are exceptions.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
I've got a jar with all the remnants that I've had...it's labeled crap...and for the most part it lives up to its name.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I divvy out the last quarter of a tin so not much is left, or add it to the same blend when opening another tin as J immediately jar tins once open.

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
I have 2 jars going back a long way. One for VA & VaPer scrap pinches I call Forrest Gump. The other is for anything with Latakia and call English Mix.

Forrest Gump gets pretty good on occasion.

I have a couple of jars like that. One is for Virginias and VaPers, the other is for everything else, latakias and aromatics. The Virginia based jar is usually very good, but saved for when I am not sure which Virginia or VaPer to open next. I did dip into the "everything else" jar about a month ago. Since, I only smoke a handful of aromatics, most vanilla based, it tasted like a Frog Morton blend that something went somewhat wrong, ha ha. But, it wasn't horrible. It wasn't good enough to smoke the whole jar, but interesting.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As an old geezer I'll repeat myself with assurance ... use the remnants with selectivity and care. If you just dump them, the mix is not likely to be good. If you mix a remnant with one blend or condiment leaf, like cigar or Turkish, etc., you may hit the jackpot.

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
Pretty sure I did my dump jar all wrong. I started it early on and put Everything in it, VA/english/Aro. I like the idea of separating them out into two, seems like it could produce something nice. I haven't tried it yet though, so we'll see when I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.