PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chopsie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2012
Anyone here have any success mixing latakia with aromatic tobaccos?

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I've actually done this quite a few times over the years.Usually though if I find a Latakia blend to be just too heavy I add a mild bland Aromatic Not to change the taste,but to lighten up the blend a bit.I can't really say that I've added Latakia to an Aromatic to change it's taste.It might be worth trying though.Over all though I don't have very good results mixing blends.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
chopsie.
Folow the link below and scroll to the bottom of the page. If you are looking for some actual blends in this area C&D has some. I have not tried any yet. They are on my list. Let me know what you think of them if you have any. One of them is Capt Bob's Blend who is a member here and has many great reviews on it.
http://www.cornellanddiehl.com/aromatic_blends.htm

chopsie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2012
@eaglerico Thanks for the link. It's more that I have some aromatic tobacco laying around that I don't smoke anymore and was looking for a way to make it more enjoyable for myself as I can get some blending Latakia. But I can also get Perique and Turkish as well. So many choices but figured that Latakia would be the best for some reason.

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
I've actually done this quite a few times over the years.Usually though if I find a Latakia blend to be just too heavy I add a mild bland Aromatic Not to change the taste,but to lighten up the blend a bit.I can't really say that I've added Latakia to an Aromatic to change it's taste.It might be worth trying though.Over all though I don't have very good results mixing blends.
I've done the same. I don't really like DNC that much or the Altadis 1M I got. I usually mix it 50/50. I find it takes the burnt Werthers caramel taste from the Altadis and adds some sweetness to the DNC.
That's the whole fun in this hobby, finding what YOU like and enjoy. Remember there are no set 'rules' for what YOU want to smoke in your pipe. That all depends on your tastes. Also, don't smoke your pipe to please other people around you, smoke it to please you.

chopsie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2012
@cavendish That's exactly where I'm heading with this, just can't afford/don't want to waste the tobacco that is on hand and am looking at a way to make it more enjoyable as I "get rid of it".

phil22

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 19, 2013
I added some latakia to Sillem's Red and it made a good aromatic very good.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I enjoy mixing tobaccos in small quantities, just a pipe bowl (or 2 or 3) at a time. Doing this, you could run

a lot of trials and see what's good. Aromatics have so many different dressings, I doubt all of them would

pair nicely with Latakia, but I think many would. Likewise some of the OTC's would probably accept Latakia

and/or Perique or Turkish, nicely. If any are so good you must have them again, just make a note about

what you mixed, as best you can. I find my mixes usually quite good to excellent. I call them mixes because

they aren't aged or put under pressure, just stirred around a little with my fingers and put in the pipe. I

wouldn't dignify them by saying they are blends. That's what the pro's or talented amateurs do. I just

mix 'em (or don't) and smoke 'em as they are. I do sometimes cut up the blending tobacco with scissors

so the leaves burn together to some degree -- try to get them about the same size, or within tolerances.

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
Personally I don't mix, but I know people who have. Write down the amounts that you use in case you end up really liking it! Also if you just don't like a blend, cellar it, your taste change in time and so does the baccy itself, Latika should get milder. Post your results I'm always curious what the community has come up with :)

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
Certainly, mixing in some blending Latakia works! Captain Bob's Blend is an aromatic containg 1/16th Latakia. Sometimes I do add a little extra, myself.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
Captain your blend does a wonderful job using Latika as a condiment, so many people want a lat bomb that we forget what the purpose it serves to begin with.

rosney

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2012
One of my favorite things to smoke when it is cold out is Peterson's Christmas blend mixed with a little Nightcap.

oldredbeard

Jul 20, 2012
I haven't actually blended any, but do really enjoy Captain Bob's Blend, and Holiday Mixture Match. It also has some Latakia in it, and is an aromatic.

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
wnghanglow and oldredbeard,
Thank you for those kind words. Yes, I personally, use Latakia in blending like I use Pepper on eggs every morning. Just enough to know it is there!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
@ chopsie, I'm on a pretty tight budget as well and don't let anything go to waste that doesn't need to. I will smoke it but won't enjoy it as much as I would other blends. Sometimes ya buy something your not too fond of and no way to trade it off or pass it along to someone else so we are left to suffer with our selections and ofc those one won't be chosen again.

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
I've been doing this for years with predictably mixed results. The good thing is that, when my experiments have been successful, they have been REALLY successful.

Classic Burley Kake, for instance, is awesome with about 20 percent latakia, and Capt Cool does very well with 30 percent. Many of the Lane bulks seem particularly receptive to latakia, especially 1-Q.

leonardw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 30, 2011
Pardon the shameless marketing in advance... We recently brought back Lane HGL Bulk, which is an aromatic/Latakia blend. I believe several site sponsors are currently stocking. The name actually stands for Herman G. Lane, and legend has it that it was is everyday smoke around the office. Apparently he was choking folks by puffing on Crown Achievement all day, and came up with this blend to get his Lat fix while providing a pleasant room note at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.