PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rrollar

Lurker
Sep 14, 2013
So I decided this morning to try and mix a couple tobaccos I had around. I took some Sutliff taste of summer & some Lane 1Q, about 50/50. Turned out pretty great actually! I have some Field Master and a Virginia blend from Tinderbox I might try next.

robusthermit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 9, 2012
I mix different blends often to try and get the best out of several blends in one bowl. I have yet to find anything that has blown me away.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I find the simpler the component tobaccos, the better the mix. I have had especially good luck with

Lane's Burley Without Bite, McClellands Red Virginia Cake, and plain black Cavendish. Then you can

add a dash of blending Latakia or Perique, like you'd spice a dish in cooking. Taste of Summer is already

a blend of two or three tobaccos, but I'm glad it goes with 1-Q. I usually blend about three pipe bowls

full in a ceramic bowl, and it stays moist enough for a day or two while I smoke it up. This is a great

way to add variety and control to your tobacco rotation.

homeatsea

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 6, 2013
I started mixing because I was bored with my rotation but don't smoke enough to justify opening new tins. I've made some pretty awesome combinations (my favorite so far is 50/50 Eileen's Dream and Dunhill Flake) and I've made some pretty bad ones.
Point to take away is that mixing can be fun and spice things up in an old rotation without the addition of new tobaccos. I recommend it to everyone!

rrollar

Lurker
Sep 14, 2013
Yes, I was thinking of taking some of the Molto and Field Master and mixing them up for the hell of it next time. We'll see.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
What really does not work, in my experience, is tossing various leftovers, or any array of too many

tobaccos into a mix, just to use them up. It seems like they could all contribute something and taste

somewhat good. These rag-bag blends end up with some bite, and they lose all clarity. The flavors

get buried.

Status
Not open for further replies.