PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

klause

It's been a funny month, what with one thing and another, and the mood has been up and down like the proverbial Lady Of The Night's under garments - with little satisfaction, up or down, in the knowledge that the current state of affairs is fleeting and temporary, and will change, again, and again; reprieve only coming with sleep.
Each morning this week I left for work, to deal with the visitudes of the day, in the quite hope that, come day's end, I would be opening a box containing a delight for me, the smoker and collector - and each day I was disappointed. No note on the door mat, heralding a parcel for collection. Yesterday, Friday, was the last hope, for this week at least, and I went to work with hope, fading as the day progressed and the mundanity of the emails and conversations depleted my energies.
I arrived home, thankful for the weekend, and looked at the doorstep, with little expectation; there was no parcel, or official letter - instead someone had shoved a piece of cardboard through the letterbox. With a sigh, I picked it up and was about to toss it into the fire when I noticed, "Parcel! In the garage. Ok?" Bless you, Postie - bless you!!!
Not sure what happened to the note, because before I knew it I was in the garage and staring at a huge box.....with American stamps........and the writing of Misterlowercase across the front, declaring my address. I reverted to being a five year old opening a bike shaped parcel on his birthday - I was beaming, soaring, full of the joys of life; gratitude and gratefulness were overflowing from me......
I opened it last night, and was taken aback - not for the first time with one of Troys little parcels. There were wonders within - and treasures - TRUE wonders - TRUE treasures.
I spent all evening with the contents of the box, and a good part of this morning - poring over them, absorbed, lost, elevated, overjoyed, staggered and, mostly, humbled - utterly humbled - and grateful - cos, Troy, I am, Mate - I am deeply, deeply grateful.
So, what was in the box? Well, of interest to the members of a pipe smokers forum were, amongst other things, the following:
image14-e1434219363908.jpg

3 Pipes and Tobacco magazines (with super articles), the BBB Pipes and Sundries catalogue (JAYSUS!!!!!!!!!), some vintage cutter-top Erinmore (flippy-de-flip-flip), a tin of Orlik Dark Kentucky (waaaahhhooooo!) and, a HUGE Baggie of Smokers Haven Krumble Kake (Good lord above!).
So, I read and looked, pondered and pontificated, and fantasised about beautiful BBB pipes, of all shapes and sizes, fits and finishes; and all the while I was wondering how I thank my friend for his unbelievable kindness - what to say - how to say it - what words! I've been worded out recently, and now I was feeling pressure - self inflicted, of course.
So, this morning I wandered off to the greenhouse, armed with a mug of strong black coffee, a beautiful Bjorn Thurmann Rhodesian and some Krumble Kake; some very old, well aged Krumble Kake.
I loaded the pipe, not really paying it much heed and set it to one side. I settled into the garden chair, looked at the general untidiness of the place, sighed, took a sip of coffee and basked in the glory of a bright sunny morning full of promise - to hell with it all - I was going to sit, relax, smoke a fabled blend, and come up with words to say to my chum.
Absentmindedly I applied the char light and let it go out, put the pipe to one side and sat back. Then I tasted the smoke. Oh! That's nice, really nice. Only, 'nice' is not the right word - I don't know what is.......I was missing something....
Outside the wind was blowing, rattling the glass, and the sun was playing hide and seek behind the clouds as they floated serenely across the sky - each time it disappeared the temperature in the greenhouse dropped, only to shoot up again on the Suns reappearance. I took the pipe, and lit up. This black, moist looking, tobacco was sending up lovely thick smoke and taking light easily - not so moist after-all - and it stayed lit, settling into a fine even glow, soon covered by a layer of ash as it consumed the tobacco.
I drew gently on the pipe, resisting the temptation to take great gobs of smoke - it tasted so good, I wanted to consume it all in one, like a glutton let loose on the buffet bar, with a plate fit for a giant. I settled into the smoke, consoling myself that a gentle pace will reap its own rewards, the quality and longevity outweighing the quantity and brevity of an all consuming surge. I would savour this - for, I realised, this was a quite gorgeous tobacco. It was soft, appealing, easy, smoky and something.....something......
I smoked, and I sat, and I smoked. I held it in my mouth, I let it slip out slowly. The sun warmed me, and the breeze caught the smoke as it drifted out the open door and whisked it away in a swirl and flurry to the far reaches of the universe. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a movement to the left. A wolf spider prowls across the raised bed, speeding, stopping, changing direction, racing across its lunar landscape in search of something....something......
On the path at my feet an ant wanderers across the desert that is a flag of Indian red sandstone, navigating great boulders - moving, with intent up the board that creates the edge of the bed and onto the mountainous region, scaling peeks, and decending valleys, unceasing, untiring, in search of something......something......
Outside, through the open door, I hear a robin challenge all comers, and, one-by-one, I hear the sparrows, and the thrush do the same. The wren hops around the stem of the black current bush, in search of something.....
To my right I see the foxgloves, blowing in the breeze, their bell-like flowers ringing silently........
The spider is watching the ant, and the ant is oblivious - it is navigating it's ever changing world - one waft of breeze and the boulders, in reality little specks of soil, will move, changing the landscape forever, until the next one, or I move a foot and creat great mountains of dust and debris to be overcome - the ant is lost in its purpose - the only consistent, and unchanging thing in its life - as is the spider - as are the birds, the orchestra in my garden.......
The tobacco smoulders like peat on a chill winters evening, a warm gentle, enticing glow, releasing cool, fragrant, creamy-thick smoke. The smoke winds its way up the shank, through the gracefully curving stem, and rolling over my lips, before crashing gently onto my tongue; splashes of flavour fall all around, sending sensations coursing through my taste buds - then slowly, slowly, seeking the freedom of the cosmos, it's released through my nose, rewarding me, gratefully, with rich, bitter-sweet, deep tones, interlaced with honey-sweet flutters, that linger, and develop, creating something........something........
The foxgloves are descended from a single plant I 'acquired' 11 years ago on a road trip to Brandon, in Kerry. From this one plant, after 11 generations, 11 lifetimes, the progeny have spread and grown, lived and died, to spring up again, and again.........and the bells ring silently......drowned by the birds orchestra performing for me.....for the love of it....from sheer exuberance......for love of life......for a purpose.....life........
The ant contemplates an ocean, vast, unfathomable, immovable, then changes direction, intent on its purpose. I contemplate the tiny splash of water, left over from watering the beds, and think it insignificant, fleeting, soon to evaporate in the warmth of the greenhouse.......
Sweetness!! Pure, fizzing, tingling, sweetness. I'm jolted back to childhood and tongues touching the terminals of a 9v battery, and the tingle of electricity running through my taste buds, only now it is an unexpected, pure, unadulterated sweetness.
An epiphany! The something! The something about this tobacco. It is all around me. In the actions of the spider and ant, the song of the birds, the rise and fall of the foxgloves, the bells ringing endlessly, unheard - I'm surrounded by a riot, hardly noticed until now, this day, hour, minute...this second - a riot of colour, of sound, of purpose........ a riot of LIFE.
Vital! This tobacco is full of vitality. It is alive. I've not had this experience before. It is as though all the vital essence of all living things had been captured and distilled - concentrated! Then Woven into the very fabric of the leaf, animating it, vitalising it. Charging the very smoke with its purpose, it's life....entering into me, I'm tingling. I'm surrounded by life. I'm watching it, listening to it. I'm holding it in my hand, and breathing it in.
I sit back in the chair. The ant is gone and the spider is off hunting once more. The birds tussle the dried leaves in search of food. The robin is victorious, without throwing a punch. The wren, hoping around the stem of the black current bush, is catching midges and flies.
The flame that usually consumes and destroys, instead, created and released. This tobacco is wonderful - it is full of energy, vitality, life - it is waiting patiently for the match, the catalyst of change, of release, for freedom, and rebirth.
My coffee is cold, untouched. The pipe has gone out, and I sit in quiet reverie.
Troy, there is little to say, or that can be said. You are a giant amongst men, a vital force; you bestow gifts, and magical moments; your enthusiasm and wit are infectious; you elevate the spirits and souls of those who know you.
Thank you, most sincerely, Mate - thank you.

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
That is quite a gift. It certainly inspired a joyous literary offering from you, Klause! You should be on the receiving end more often if this result can be expected! Way to go mcl. :clap:

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Klaus, I cannot think of a more fitting way of thanking Mr. lc than your description of the wonderful experience you had smoking his gift. :clap: This is just another great example of the type of folks on this site!
I have had similar experiences sitting on my front porch, but for some reason I can never express myself as well as you have here. Thanks for an inspiring read!

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
"All this he saw, for one moment breathless and intense, vivid on the morning sky; and still, as he looked, he lived; and still, as he lived, he wondered."
The Wind In The Willows....you've called to mind my favorite children's book. A princely gift, indeed!

Sjmiller CPG

(sjmiller)
May 8, 2015
Morgan County, Tennessee
This is turning out to be a most interesting place. The kind acts of members, the willingness of members to answer the question of others and as well as the fact that there are some very talented story tellers in our midst. It is very different than the last forum, a cigar related one, that I took an active part in.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Class act, that Misterlowercase, a true class act! Glad you got so much joy from someone's kind generosity, it's great ain't it?

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
A"Good on you" for both! One for the gift, one for the wonderful tribute! This is a good place to be...

thefalcon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2012
Klause, hope you have many a happy moments with your Tobacco and reading material, Troy is a very caring person with a very special talent for collecting and writing of tobacciana.
Cheers, --Eric

gregprince

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2014
Couldn't have happened to a nicer fellow. Enjoy both the tobacco and the reading material my friend. I lived in Columbus back when Smoker's Haven was on Gay street and have fond memories of this and some of their other blends.

May 31, 2012
It was my pleasure Jason,

you've done so much for me y'know.
Once again I'm astounded by your writing ability and the "earthiness" of KK is perfectly conveyed, it's great reading, and indeed, VITAL.
Thanks for all that you do brother!

:puffy:

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
Wow. Just stumbled across this thread. Wonderful writing Klause. MLC, thanks for all you do to make this forum such an enjoyable experience

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Wow. That was an amazing read! I would love something like that in book form! Very well written, and a wonderful thank you.

It's ironic that I stumbled on this thread tonight. I just started reading " A sand County Almanac" by Aldo Leopold.

If you have ever read it, you will know what I mean. :)
Simply beautiful

Status
Not open for further replies.