PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

klause

So, myself and Troy have been chatting and swapping a few bits and pieces for a while now, me getting the better side of the to-ing-and-fro-ing - some gorgeous blends coming my way, and copious samples to savour - not to mention being an eager recipient of all his research and knowledge in his cracking posts.
Well, sometime ago i got to try some Newminster Navy Flakes, and was absolutely smitten. As most of you will know, we have a very limited selection here on the Emerald Isle, and to a lesser degree in Europe. These particular flakes not making their way to this side of the pond. But as a result of one happy exchange we hatched a plan that would enable me to get my eager mitts on a sizeable quantity of said flakes. Troy was to act as 'go between', and designs for 'blockade running' the inevitable customs and taxes were discussed.
Now this was a plan of immense importance to me, as I'm trying to get together a bit of a cellar and future proof myself to the inevitable prohibition of tobacco here (it's a government policy, y'know) - also, the cost of Toby is craaaaaazy, and can only get worse. And, not least, I have a thing for aged tobaccos - they float my boat.
I smoke very little, a bowl or three a week in summer, less in winter, so my ambitions are modest - at least in comparison to some (Peck, I'm looking in your direction) - I reckon that over a period of years I should get enough together to see me well into my twilight years, which, thankfully are a good way off. Over the last 3-4 years I've gotten together about 4.5 lbs of various tobaccos. Mainly plugs and flakes - Troy has contributed to this already. So, as you can see, laying away some Newminster fits nicely, especially given the bulk prices you fellas get to benefit from.
Originally I was thinking 16 ozs, but got greedy and settled on 32!!!!!! Yes! That's right! 2 lbs!
Now, this is where Troy went all "Parkour" on me, and the finer details of the plan went out the window. The gist of the plan had been that I would tell Troy when the Toby was on its way to him, and we'd move from there - but, as it turned out Troy told ME when the Toby was on its way to ME!!! Blimey - wot a bloke.....
And, that's where I forgot all about it as pressures of life and work exerted themselves, culminating in a bit of a poo-ey week, that turned into a Minor sh:t-storm yesterday, commencing when I sat at my desk at 6:30 am. Come 3 pm I decided to cut losses and head home, planning on going for a looooong walk. When I got here I found a message from the postie that a package was waiting for me at the village post office. So, I decided to walk the couple of miles to pick up the mysterious package, thinking who it could be from pretty much all the way. Couldn't be Troys, as the last one took nearly 2 months to reach me. I walked, soaked up the sun, the breeze, and pondered.
Handed note to ancient post mistress (minimum of 110 yrs old - honestly :) and waited for her to shuffle back with my package. She heaved a giant box onto the counter, near having a stroke in the process. My heart was racing........I'd seen signs it was from the states.......my mind was running off in all directions.......then near heart failure.........she said there MUST be duties to be paid.
BOLLOX!!!!
Nearly said it out loud, but instead screamed it silently to myself. I couldn't breath as she poked the keypad of her mobile to check how much the government was going to steal off me. All the while I was doing mental calculations. 32 ozs of tobacco! What was the duty on tobacco. 2 ozs here costs €20 about 75% of that taxes - BLOODY BOLLOX!!! More mental maths. 16 15s is wot? Count, count, count.......not enough fingers! Damnit. It was gonna be a lot!!!! I had €3 on me.
She was still poking the phone.
My heart sank.
We were going to fall at the last fence.
The blockade was too good - it was bloody impregnable.
Could this week get any worse?? Might just as well go to bed now and pull the duvet over my head. The f@ckers are going to take my one and only vice, my one true pleasure from me, as well as my hard earned cash.
It was all getting a little dramatic in my head.
"Pat, the package for Jason.......what's the duty to be collected?"
F%$£¥ty-f€&@-f€&@!!!!
"Ok, that's grand. Thanks, Pat."
I reach for my wallet to retrieve the battered credit card.
She says,"There you go, Jason. Just sign there. Thanks a million. Enjoy the evening."
I stare at her, then rapidly sign. Smile broadly, grab the package, and leg it out the door, shouting my thanks over my shoulder. Scarper down the street. Look at package. Customs label. Vintage tins. Wood plaques. Pipe. But, and this is the clincher - GIFT.
In a whirl. Spend my last €3 in the village shop on an ice cream cone. Stride manfully down the road to my house. Moustache and beard smeared in ice cream - grinning like a maniac. Maybe life wasn't too bad after all. There's good out there, y'know. There really is. Easily forgotten, but it's there. Walking, planning what to do. Thinking. Label said the contents weighed 5 lbs!
Excited.
Was gonna smoke. Jar Toby. Admire my stash. Smile at the world, and write to Troy.
Got home. Literally shaking with excitement. Read the label again. Out with the pocket knife. Surgically slice the packing and open the box (actually that's a lie - I practically ripped it open with my teeth). Stand back and whistle silently through the non-existent gap in my teeth.
Wow!!!!! WOW!!!! Flippity-flip-flip. Hehehe!
Sweet, sweet aroma punches me in the face as I open the box.
Lifted the contents out, bit by bit......
Tin of Black House ( oh! Sweet Jesus......I've read the reviews....)

Tin of Westminster (ditto)..........this is actually a tin from 2008!!!!!!!!!!

Tin of Briar Fox (never heard of it - nice label)

Tin of Tilbury (oh! Flip - too much)

2 100grm tins of MacBaren Navy Flake.......dated 2011!!!!!!!!! (One of my all time fav flakes)

1 100gr MacBaren Latakia Flake (only tried a sample of this a few weeks ago, and fell utterly in love with it, but can't get it here)
1/2 oz of Briar Fox sample..............what a lovely looking lump of Toby........
One stunningly fabulous Soborg freehand sandblast lump of utter gorgeousness (I have a think for the Danes)
Nestled deep in the bottom, 2 bulk boxes of Newminster (at this point I near peed myself with excitement, joy, gratitude, happiness, and general overwhelmedness of it all).
Stand back. Breath. Then breath, again. Now, what to do.
Pop the kettle on. Make a mug of tea. Load the Soborg with some Briar Fox. Then take it all in. Still overwhelmed. So, grab the tea, Soborg, tamper, box of matches and assume a position on the back door step in the blazing sun, enjoy the afternoon. I put fire to the Toby. Let it go out and sip tea. This pipe is gorgeous - it has 2 stems - one (original) vulcanite, and one (crafted by Troy) acrylic. I'd automatically put the acrylic one in the pipe as it was the one that created a lovely flow. As it turns out, as I later found out, this was Troys plan when he crafted the new stem.
True light, beautiful smoke, beautiful pipe. Beautiful evening. Wonderful day. Thus Toby was gorgeous, and the pipe a lovely smoker - could have been made for each other.
While I smoked, absorbed vitamin D and sipped tea, I smiled broadly, noted how fortunate a fellow I was, and thanked my stars for the kindness of a true gentleman. Troy, I'm speechless.
I pondered my gifts. I pondered the fact my stash has now doubled in size, in an instant. I pondered how long this would last at my present rate of consumption. 50 grms lasts nearly 3 months, sometimes more, and provides me with unlimited pleasure, and joy. Sooooooo, Troys contribution alone will last me.........oooohh! A looooong time. Maths not a strong point, and, besides, the smoke, the occasion, the pipe, did not need ruining by mental arithmetic. I turned to what Troy had invested in this. Blimey. Then, the thought that went into it. BLIMEY.
And, the cost of postage.
Just under 2 hours later, I sat and admired my beautiful new pipe, considered my new favourite tobacco, and sipped the last drops of my cold tea..........then went inside and looked again at my new stash.
Troy you've blown me away, mate. Really, I don't know what to say, so I simply say thank you. And, again, thank you. This is just beyond words. Your enthusiasm, and constant good humour on the forum is always an educational, entertaining, rollicking good time, for everyone. But with this.......you've gone truly "Parkour". Bless you, mate - I truly appreciate it.
So, I'll shut up now (collective sigh of relief) and give you some very poor pictures, else it didn't really happen, eh?
jason1.jpg

jason3.jpg

jason4.jpg

jason5.jpg

jason6.jpg

jason7.jpg

jeffsimpson

Might Stick Around
Apr 12, 2014
Spend my last €3 in the village shop on an ice cream cone. Stride manfully down the road to my house. Moustache and beard smeared in ice cream - grinning like a maniac.
I couldn't stop laughing at this.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I'm sure Oifig Custaim na hÉireann appreciates your photo-documented confession. :mrgreen:
GREAT story.

K

klause

Haha! Pitchfork, maybe, maybe - but, t'was a genuine and unexpected gift - all above board yer Honour.

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
What a great story! There is nothing like the feeling one gets from opening a long-anticipated package. I'm surprised the German's haven't come up with a word for it.

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
I'm surprised the German's haven't come up with a word for it.

:lol:
Congrats on the haul and hats off to MLC for sending it you. If his post not too long ago about the Warrior Plug and the rest of it is anything to go by, you deserve it! Seeing this kind of generosity here has been key in making me feel like this is truly a great hobby and a great forum and something that I really enjoy being involved in.

May 31, 2012
:D :!:

Jason - what a great read! I love the way you write and have the ability to put the reader right there with you.
The ice cream bit was too funny!

:mrgreen:

I too find a comfort in ice cream, it's amazing how the simple pleasures can elevate the soul,

I'm crazy about Ben&Jerry's Pistachio Pistachio - yummy!
It was my pleasure here as you are such a fine gentleman, and it is me whose got the better end of our various swapping and it was about time to balance the scales - you've given me too much great stuff, as well as turning me on to Condor and the cool plugs too!
I'm very happy the package arrived safe 'n sound as I was a bit worried,

y'all got some weird addresses!

:eek:
Happy days & Holy smokes!
Sit back, relax, and enjoy your weekend.
:puffy:

ericthered

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
If this were facebook I would be liking the bejeezus out of this post. Your writing is truly something to behold, klause. I felt like I was walking right there next to you the whole way: biting my nails in the post office, smearing ice cream (with a flake?) into my stubble and exulting in the sweet stash of new tobaccos to try.
It's awesome to see these types of transactions occurring between fellow pipe & tobacco enthusiasts. It makes a newbie like me that much more excited about the hobby/pastime!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Great story,thanks for sharing. You might want to think about using 4noggins for your pipe and tobacco needs. Rich is the man when it comes to covert international shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.