PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kbauer73

Lurker
Apr 1, 2018
I purchased a bottle of Missouri Moonshine and it came with a Missouri Meerschaum cob pipe. It is an unfinished pipe with a barrel style bowl and an unfiltered amber bit. I haven’t really been able to ID the style of the pipe based off of my looking on MMs website so I was wondering if y’all could help. I am new to pipe smoking and was hoping to use this one as my starter pipe but don’t know anything about it. Thanks in advance.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Looks like an unfinished Eaton.
198409d1522620124-missouri-meerschaum-pipe-id-0151d7684b4a43c9500edbfb58e97564efe136d15a.jpg

Here's a shot of the Eaton.
pmmeat-pf-1000.png

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
The Eaton pipe is pretty small.

The bowl is too narrow for my pipe nail.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
MM cobs are all pretty good. If you find you chew through the bit, you can retrofit the pipe with a Forever stem that will make the pipe last for an extra long time. MM cobs are a good way to start, and are always a good smoke no matter how experienced a pipe smoker you are. Some feel they look too rustic, but that is one of their appealing features to me. I'd gladly smoke an MM cob in full suit and tie ... in jeans and t-shirt, or any old way.

johnsteam86

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2018
MM are real good pipes. If you take care of them they can last for years. I have 5 of them and 2 more on the way. Once you get past the first 5-6 bowls the new pipe taste should go away and then it will be pure heaven after that. If you choose to expand your pipes after that you can make complete rotations without breaking the bank also.

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
I love that "new cob" corn taste, especially with a straight virginia. Adds a sweetness that I like, but I don't think anybody likes charring that shank stem on the bottom. When you start tasting what is clearly burning wood, stop. Eventually that will cake over and burn partially away. Another cob trick is to make yourself some "pipe mud" and line the bottom of the cob, trying to get it packed in under and on the sides of that shank stem to protect the cob to make it last longer and speed up the break-in process.

Pipe mud is simply cigar ashes with water to make a thick paste. Some guys just use spit instead of water, some guys swear by using sour cream or even yogurt.

I just use tap water. Once it's "mudded" just let it sit and thoroughly dry for several days and it will turn solid.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
"Eventually that will cake over and burn partially away."
You know, a lot of people mention that, but mine never seem to do that. They just kind of carbonize to a hard, shiny black and stay that way. Weird, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.