PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

homeguard95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
Does anybody own a Missouri Meerschaum MacArthur corn cob? I'm just curious about how they smoke, I like the look they have but it does seem a little bit overkill. So my biggest question, is the chamber as deep as the bowl looks?

macabra11

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2014
Boise, ID
I'm not sure how they smoke, but my wife insists she is going to get me one and some aviator sunglasses. I keep telling her that talk's cheap.

metarzan

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2012
Yes the chamber is DEEEEP! I have the bent Mac, think I would have rather got the straight. I have smoked maybe 6 bowls from it in the last year or two and packing loosely the deeper in the bowl seemed to work best. You can fit a lot of baccy in there so dry it out and gravity feed a good ways.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think it will take some learning and experimenting to get a good even burn in that baby, tall

as it is, like a stack shape pipe only moreso. Also, a pipe nail or Czech tool may not get the job

done cleaning that bowl -- maybe a nut pick. I don't like to complicate my pipe smoking life,

but every time I see one, I feel the urge to buy it. I have the same reaction to Oom Pauls, seeing

all the problems right away. Not any old tobacco is going to behave well in the Mac.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
I have one, and the biggest issue I have is relighting the bottom half of the bowl - you need matches, a lighter won't reach. They look cool to me, but there are easier pipes to smoke.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
About the MacArthur look, I had a minesweeper skipper who, even without a pipe, in his sunglasses, looked for

all the world like the General himself. He was an Annapolis grad who'd gotten his Navy wings and was doing

some line officer duty (on a ship) to get his ticket punched. His name was Freehill, and he was a Lt. Cmdr. at

the time, but I've tried to track down his career Googling "Captain Freehill," or "Admiral Freehill," but maybe

he left the Navy. My Exec Officer on that ship, a homeboy of mine (but distant to an enlisted guy like me)

died years ago at the age of 57.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I think the mcarther is one of those pipes that is cool looking from a novelty standpoint. I had one years ago and remember it being heavy to clench and a bitch to relight. Cool looking pipe though. Just not practical for me.

Aug 14, 2012
I have two. I never fill them all the way. They smoke great. Better than other cobs because of the length of the shank.

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
I'd get a MM General instead. Its a two hour smoke easily, but the bowl is easier to manage not being so deep.
I think the MacArthur is more of a novelty than anything. Assuming you can keep it lit to the bottom, how often are you honestly going to be able to sit and smoke for 3 hours.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
My Czech tool does reach to the bottom, but as I said, you need matches, a lighter won't reach the end of the bowl. If you want one to add to your rotation though, they're only $15, so why not?

bulletsnbriars

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2013
Nashville/Williston
This pipe is super fun. Always gets you laughs and smiles. Smokes great, good and cool. But you need a good tamper. I can sometimes grt it lit halfway down with a bic, and have little difficulty with my Zippo pipe insert, but youll want matches to make life easier.

rolldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
I have a MM Mc and it smokes great. I picked up cubed burley from Sterling Tabacco and once lit, stays lit. You will need an oversized tamper though to keep her going. I picked up an extra large Clovis pin for $3 from the hardware store..done. I have since wrapped the top half with para cord for extra grip. If you love cobs like I do, I highly recommend adding one to your collection and rotation.

Status
Not open for further replies.