PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

burlpettibon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
Hello once again everyone! I was going to be placing a big order here tomorrow, including but not limited to, a tin of Grousemoore. Because of that I was going to add a cob pipe to the order to prevent ghosting any of the briar pipes I have in my rotation. While I was looking through the options on SmokingPipes I ran across Missouri Meerschaum Hardwood pipes and was wondering if anyone here had any experience with them. I like the look a bit more then the cob but not enough to sacrifice smoking quality. SO! To make a long story short I'm asking for everyones two cents on it. Thanks in advance!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I have a MM maple Diplomat. I like it much more than corncobs. One advantage, for me, was that I could enlarge the bowl

with a little coarse sandpaper to get more capacity than a cob has. As for the taste of the wood itself, like any other pipe,

it isn't too yummy during the break-in, but after 5 or 6 bowls it is starting to turn into a pretty good smoker. I also

sanded-off the lacquer coating on the surface of the bowl -- which I believe helps the smoke. You will still have to contend

with the stubby end of the shank that sticks through the side of the bowl, but it will burn away in time. I say go for it.

jkenp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
NW Indiana
I bought a twofer deal when they first appeared. They were dipped in a sealer and that was in the bowl too. I sanded the second bowl but it went away in the first quickly. I think they have since stopped "painting" in bowl itself.
They are quite smokable. I don't see any taste which makes them close to a true meerschaum. Might make the smoke marginally sweeter. They aren't bad.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I have a MM maple Diplomat and like it. Good smoker and throw in the pocket pipe...

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I have two of the Ozark Hardwood MM's, and they are good smokers! It does take a few smokes to break them in and to get rid of the taste of stain, but after that they are great. They make excellent work/beater pipes. I highly recommend!

kcpoe

Might Stick Around
Oct 9, 2013
I have the diplomat in Hardwood and cob and I can tell you that I LOVE them both. I use them while im out and about to put in my back pocket...no worries of messing them up. The interesting part is that these pipes JUST as good as any other pipe I have.
Money is not always an indicator of quality. The MM Cobs and hardwoods are fantastic.

robusthermit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 9, 2012
I have four - two Diplomats and two Ozarks. I agree that the break in smokes do taste a bit odd from the coating. They are in my work rotation with the rest of my cobs. I can't say I like them more than my "real" cobs but MM does not make a bad product IMHO.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I've only ever tried their cobs, and they'd be what I recommend to sample new tobaccos as I am not very familiar with any other wood than briar. I had a pear tree pipe before and I didn't care for it very much. Also if it isn't something you honestly expect to work into a rotatio I would just put the extra cash towards some more quality briar.

Status
Not open for further replies.