PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strike Anywhere

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2011
You all may not want to participate in this, but I thought I would give it a try.
I just ordered a grab bag of smokeable seconds from Missouri Meerschaum. I know a few others on here either recently received theirs or have a grab bag on the way. Let's post photos of our grab bags once they arrive. I know they're just corn cob pipes, but I'm curious to see the variety we receive. You don't have to take close-ups of each one (unless you want to) -- I think an overall shot of everything you get would be good.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Here's mine-- I posted this a few weeks ago on a new thread. Been smoking these and loving them! You really can't go wrong here for the $$. I was really happy with the variety in mine.

IMG_3199_zps656d59c4.jpg
[/URL]

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
OMG I'm liking the look of those. Why do you do this to me? I have cobs. More than enough cobs. I have a Legend, a CG, a Diplomat and two nosewarmers from Aristocobs. And now I want a grab bag for no other reason than there's lot of goodies for not much cost. This is not right but I just know I'll give in :(
Andy

Strike Anywhere

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2011
Just got mine today.
bjd3xv.jpg

Not crazy about the Mac Arthur. I already own one, and they're just not practical to smoke. Oh well.
Also, a few close-ups of what might make these "seconds".
Really big gash on the Mac Arthur:
29ze77q.jpg

Wooden shank does not go all the way into the bowl:
2sazbq8.jpg

Hard to tell in the photo, but the shank enters the bowl much higher than normal (even for a corn cob pipe):
2jfnii0.jpg

All in all, I'm happy, and this is probably how I will order my cobs in the future.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
photo_MM_1-vi.jpg

Nothing special, smell like shellac, all of them leak air.

I did better with a box of a dozen Chinese cobs off eBay (unfinished, they do not smell lie shellac, very little air leakage).
$_57.JPG

"Watcha smokin', Doug?"

"The desiccated livers of dead Japanese soldiers"

"Really?"

"No, not really. Just something that my chief of staff brought back from Mexico"

"Don't Bogart that cob, Doug"

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Woodsroad-

I'll bet even the firsts "leak air". Do you mean that when you hold your thumb over the chamber and suck on the stem you get some air? Remember these are COBS. They are POROUS. They are NOT $300 briars. I'll bet ya they smoke wonderful, pull that filter out and that draw is so wide open you won't know it leaks air. Smoke em first, then compare to them chinese cobs, they don't smell like shellac, but then again, them hot glue guns don't leave much smell, do they??....

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Beefeater, the Chinese cobs are mostly airtight, draw wide open, and don't smell like shellac. I thought that they were junk when I got them, but they smoke great. Sorry, but I can't get on the bandwagon on this one. Maybe the MM "firsts" are better.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Woods-

Fair enough, as I haven't tried the chinese cobs- but have heard over and over that they are junk. To each his own...

Curious, what is that Prilep in your other post? I know you blend tobacs, but I've never heard of it.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
It's one of the Orientals that was used in Balkan Sobranie.

Love it.
http://www.wholeleaftobacco.com/Turkish-Oriental-Prilep-Prilep.htm
Tell Don I sent you, and here's 30% off: Enter SpringFling as the coupon code.
Beefeater the Chinese cobs ARE junk, but they are also cheap and don't smell/taste like anything. I'm going to have to put these MM cobs out in the sunlight for a few days and see if they off-gas enough that I can't taste the shellac.

Strike Anywhere

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2011
Only one of mine "leaks" air (very slightly). It seems to be where the stem joins the shank (not where the shank joins the bowl). The stem on that one is very loose, and I'm betting once I smoke it a time or two it will tighten up and the leak will be gone.

ruger414

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 25, 2014
United States
Here are mine! They just got here last night and I'm fairly happy with what I got. Some (2) were unfortunately un-smokable. The others however have minimal issues! All in all I think it was a good deal. I don't know if I'll order again, though.
xB8vv5s.jpg

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
That kind of blows Woodsroad considering everyone else got 10-11 pipes and they gave you 4.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Never gave this much thought before, since I just buy them one at a time and have purchased only a handful in my life. No issues at all.
But now, remembering when I worked in a production cell, thinking of how much stuff failed inspection and we scrapped, I'm wondering percentages.
Mass producing corn cob pipes. What do you think the failure rate is?
Surely there were some that didn't even qualify as seconds. Those went straight to the bin. But now I'm trying to guestimate based on your grab-bag purchases. How many of 10 won't be good smokers? Are we at about 20%? Guys should figure when they get their bag they'll be displeased with a couple, several maybe.
How many people got bags and every pipe was good?

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
12 pups--

Every one of mine was good. Yes, they had cosmetic flaws, mostly rim chips and cob imperfections. One of them had a plugged stem, upon inspection I found it wasn't drilled all the way through- that was a quick fix with a drill bit. I can't find any "leakers" in mine. Maybe I just got lucky, but Iv'e been pleased with mine. For what they are-- I keep one in the glove box, put one in my tackle box, got a few at work, gave a few away to friends--- Disposable pipes of sorts..........
I have not noticed the shellac thing either-- again, maybe just got lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.