PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitemair13

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2018
North Carolina
MM added their 2nds grab bag back so I grabbed it 'cause it's a steal and I love corncob pipes. I think I got 4 of the same, which I believe is called "the original" a little short stem one, a nice looking straight with a silver band which is the "Carolina Gent" and what I think is the General?

w0JR4eD.jpg

spartan99

Can't Leave
Mar 10, 2017
Nice. I love the grab bags of smokable seconds. The bags were so popular that they reduced the quantity to seven and increased the per pipe price a touch.
From left to right: General, Country Gentleman, Pony Express, and the last four are Legends. The bright ferrule on the Country Gentleman is novel. Originally, it was probably supposed to be a Carolina Gent.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
Swinging through there next week. If you get the chance in person you can sort through the bags ☺

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You will like them. They are difficult to put down. Since I have a few, I now buy the ones with acrylic stems, since I found myself retrofitting my MM cobs with Forever stems. In any case, they sure can show off a blend.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I find myself smoking MM cobs almost 75% of the time because they won't make me sad if I lose/break/drop/burnout one. All but 3 of my cobs are from smoke-able seconds bags. I keep lots around in case I can convince people to try smoking pipes. I hand them a couple cobs, some matches, some filters (optional), and some cleaners along with good tobacco.

Reactions: beefeater33

usmcpiper03

Lurker
Jun 3, 2018
I need to order a set of these soon. I’ve never smoked out of a cob before and could use a few pipes for using fishing, camping, and the workshop. Seems like a good way to expand your rotation.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I have some beater cobs, but i have two or three that i cherish as much as my briars. Especially the nearly flawless General i picked up in Chicago from MM. Those had been finished and inspected to higher standards.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Was all that came in the grab bag? They used to guarantee at least 10 pipes per bag of various size/shapes. I've gotten a grab bag twice over the years and I've had at least 10 both times with a great assortment of pipes.

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
The grab bag is now only 7 pipes instead of 10 pipes. They are also stating up front that up to five of the 7 pipes will be "Legend sized".
The new grab bag is called the "7 day set of smokable seconds", and it costs $26.29 or $3.76 per pipe.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Everybody kept buying the 10 cob grab bag and they were running out of flawed cobs hence the reason for going to a 7 pipe grab bag,. Still a great deal.

Reactions: beefeater33

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think people start out with MM cobs as disposable pipes, but pretty soon they've promoted them to favorites. They either regularly replace the plastic stems, which chew up fairly fast, or they buy the more expensive MM pipes that have Vulcanite or acrylic stems, or retrofit their favorite cobs with Forever acrylic stems. When you've broken in a cob your own way and found its sweet spot for blends, it isn't disposable anymore.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
7? 10? Still the best buy in 'new pipes' or best value anyway. I bought a bag 'o 10 about 4 yrs ago and still have one or two unsmoked. I'm smoking all but 2 of them still.

Status
Not open for further replies.