PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kf5eqv

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2011
Oklahoma
Has anyone ever been to the Missouri Meerschaum Factory and Museum?
I was just wondering what all is open to the public. I thought a walk through the cornfield, followed by a tour of the factory and finally a visit to the museum sounded like a nice way to spend a weekend. I'm assuming they have a gift shop as well.
I just looked it up and it's about 360 miles away from where I'm at, so I would have to find something else worth doing in Missouri in order to convince my wife it would be a fun trip. 8)

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Apparently Washington, Mo is the "Heart of Wine Country"; whatever that means in Missouri. Looks like a cute town. Take a compass and draw a 360 mile circle around where you live. If there's something better just lie to your wife. There are a lot of weekends left before winter.

maduroman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 15, 2010
the term lie to your wife is so gauche.... i prefer to rearange the facts a bit...

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
I've never been there, but from other's who have, I understand they no longer give tours of the factory. So you'd only be able to see whatever history they offer, plus their store/giftshop.

ivan08

Might Stick Around
Sep 2, 2010
i want a Meerschaum!!!! the last pipe that i bought was a Rhodesian! (on april) i have never smoke a Meerschaum in my life! :( i will buy one very soon.....

kf5eqv

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2011
Oklahoma
I've never smoked a meerschaum yet either.
Missouri Meerschaum is the company that makes all the corncob pipes that are made in the USA. Easy mistake though considering the misleading name. :wink:

kf5eqv

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2011
Oklahoma
Ivan, funny story... I actually made the same mistake once, and I already OWNED a Missouri Meershaum Corncob so there was really no excuse. :lol:
LAW, thanks for the link!

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I have been there before. I lived about 20 minutes from Washington, MO most of my life; it is indeed wine country the weekenders were a constant annoyance. The museum is awesome they have a huge collection. The factory was off limits when I visited but the had a nice how it's made display at the museum. Interesting fact: the Tibbe Power Co. was founded almost exclusively to run the pipe plant. If you pick up an MM pipe (Available online >$10) I highly recommend virginia's.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Oh and to answer your original question; St. Louis is not far so there's the Arch and normal touristy stuff. The Zoo is free and one of the best in the country as well as the other free museums and science center. Also historic St. Charles, Lewis and Clark trail and Katy trail if you like bicycle rides. If you're from a place without any pro sports teams there's baseball, hockey and football. Good luck.

cacooper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 28, 2009
Parker, CO
My dad and I visited the factory in 2003, while on our way to the Harley-Davidson 100th anniversary. We were on I-70 and had some extra time, so we headed south to Washington, MO. The factory is off-limits to the general public. Lots of exposed, dusty and sharp spinning machinery housed in a very old building. Regular tours would be a liability nightmare for them. The main lobby is a small museum of sorts, with various displays documenting the history of the company.
Because I was in the tobacco business at the time, and also a customer, Marilyn Lanning (office manager) was very gracious in arranging a personal tour with one of the floor managers. Very fascinating place! At the time of our visit, no one under age 65 worked there, with the exception of a couple high schoolers for the summer. Most workers are retirees just making extra money and wanting something to do, though some have been there all their working lives. The result is a very reliable workforce.
We met everyone working there and watched them at there work stations cutting cobs, drilling bowls, plaster filling and sanding, stem fitting, and finally to the one lady that is in charge of putting the stickers on the bottom of the bowl. It's a real cozy atmosphere, with everyone chatting about their families while they work. Together they produce around 5000 pipes a day. Amazing!
P&T magazine ran an article awhile back featuring Missouri Meerschaum, that explained the whole operation and the history of the company. Everything in the article was exactly what we saw on our tour. I know that seeing it in person is more thrilling, but the article is very complete and is the next best thing to being there.
A visit to the factory is well worth it just to experience the place, learn the history and buy a few pipes right from the source. And it's another "check-off" on your bucket list!
Have fun.
CACooper

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
Figured I would revive this thread if anyone was interested.... I was in Washington, MO earlier today just to visit the factory since I was in St. Louis on business. Unfortunately the retail shop and museum are now closed permanently. Wish I knew why! The visitors center across the street has a great selection of pipes to buy so you don't have to leave empty handed .....

Status
Not open for further replies.