Missouri Meerschaum Corn Cobs.. Just Do It!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipeastronomer

Might Stick Around
Dec 22, 2012
Boston MA/ Bethlehem NH
Well I have to say the 4 corn cob pipes I got from Missouri Meerschaum will NOT be the last I get. I used to think that these pipes were just a novelty and not serious smoking pipes. However after reading all the posts on this and other forums about how these simple and very inexpensive pipes can be superb smokers,... well, I just had to give it whirl. And I have not been disappointed! These pipes are wonderful and have a character all their own. You can't compare these to Briar or actual Meerschaum pipes, but that is not the point. The corn cob has a very simple way of smoking, no fuss, no break in, just pure enjoyment.
Missouri Meerschaum
I have smoked about 4 bowls using my new Missouri Meerschaum and they all have been awesome. I don't know, there is just something authentic and genuine about these little gems. They emit a nice sweet corn aroma when smoking which I feel adds to the complexity of smoking a great burly or English blend. bringing my nose closely to the side of a warm corn cob bowl and taking a sniff is wonderful,... At least to me.....It just feels right.
What has contributed to my respect and enjoyment of these corn cob pipes was to spend a little time on their web site and go thru their history page. Also take a look at how they make the pipes. And please make sure to watch the video from a news magazine touring their company. I promise once you read about the fascinating process they use in making and aging the cobs, not to mention the video in their factory of them actually making these, you will hold the cob in you hand say... "Yes I understand and get you  Ye ol' simple corn cob! "  The process is intriguing to say the least.
History
So I urge anyone to pick up a few of these pipes from Missouri Meerschaum directly and give them a go. Their shipping was super fast and I have not been disappointed. And you CAN'T go wrong with the price.
I'm a happy Missouri Meerschaum Corn Cob owner. Just passing along my wonderful experience!
Enjoy all!

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
I have 3 cobs, and I love them. Check out walker briar works, the make lucite and vucanite replacement stems. They call them Forever Stems. They're much more durable then the stems the cobs come with, and they look cooler If your cob breaks or burns out, you can just put the stem on a different cob.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
Oh and they make the stems completely by hand. Their website is www.walkerbriarworks.com
Heres a picture of my cob with the stem, and just the stem

102_5854_zps9bf26228.jpg

102_5855_zpsae278547.jpg

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
ok pipeastronomer - thank you very much for this post. I went to the website and I too was blown away. I bought 2 about a month ago so when I tried a new tobacco, I wouldn't necessarily ruin (ghost or goop) my "good pipes". I have to admit that I didnt give these enough credit. They're really wonderful pipes and I think i am going to be buying them more if nothing else but to support this fine company. A cigar friend of mine wanted to try out pipes after seeing how much I enjoyed them so I bought him a MM pipe to start. This thread is going to cause me to go out and buy a few more today. Thanks!

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
I love the cobs, I picked up the grab bag from MM and 3 other pipes this weeks. :puffpipe:

There is also a seller on fleabay who has a nice selection of fancy stems at good prices...so I got 10 of those too. I'll put some pictures when they arrive.

lifeon2

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2012
denver co
Cobs are ok if you're in to that sort of thing.....
Big straight and Big bent

GEDC0363_zps93e87759.jpg

Extra large and long

GEDC0362_zpsfb7d9733.jpg

Miniatures

GEDC0361_zps30a3adc1.jpg

Square shank or corn dog the second one is my favorite as it is actually cut like a bulldog

GEDC0360_zpse206535c.jpg

Old display board being filled with random pipes

GEDC0359_zps30b72cc8.jpg

Just some unique ones

GEDC0358_zps19f4b77c.jpg

Older pipes from when they were a bit nicer

GEDC0357_zps2b264605.jpg

Some hard woods that you just seem to pick up as you go along

GEDC0356_zps85388ac7.jpg

Really old and fairly unique

GEDC0355_zps51d1f5d2.jpg

Bamboo shanks

GEDC0354_zpsa793db30.jpg

Current or modern cobs

GEDC0353_zps493bd356.jpg

Cool bents some old some new

GEDC0352_zps9cf009e3.jpg

Three different freehands

GEDC0351_zps94256bc0.jpg

Complete unsmoked custom grade presentation set from the 50s

GEDC0350_zpsaed05af4.jpg

Reed stems some redone by yours truly

GEDC0349_zps948cbc02.jpg

Whit I like to call the 44 cobnum it had a crack in the shank that I banded with a piece of 44 mag brass I fit the stem from my box of spares and gave it a hard wood plug bottom

GEDC0134.jpg

A custom piece made by a fellow called smoking dragon

GEDC0097.jpg

A santas pipe not sure how old but Marylin over at MM guesses from the 30s or 40s

GEDC0137.jpg

A MKII nylon pipe with replaceable corncob bowls, I have 3 white, black and brown.

GEDC0141.jpg

GEDC0155.jpg

zdwebb12

Might Stick Around
Jan 25, 2013
I've been debating about picking up a cob. You may have convinced me.

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
I agree! Cobs are great and enjoyable on their own merits. I too, enjoy the slightly sweet aroma you get from a cob,and they can handle even the goopiest of aros! I am really enjoying a cheap Altadis vanilla black cavendish in my cob. Great for the car too

moses

Jan 12, 2013
Biddeford
Hell yeah! Missouri Prides are my go-to blend testers! Also my go-to travel pipes. Simply wonderful! :clap:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hey, it's a MM festival! What great pictures of well-smoked well-kept pipes. For newbies with cobs,

be aware they come with and without filters. A few of the pipes sold online are really small, just

to sample tobacco or for a trial smoke for a non-pipe smoker. Good to have the walker site for

stems; I'm using a softie bit for a stem that's chewed up, but wanted something better. Cobs do

burn out, but many last a long, long time. Those Missouri folks know exactly what they're doing.

What a great business, right in the heart of the USA. Mighty fine product.

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
These are the same type of replacement stems, just a bit cheaper. ALL "my" cobs will be using replacements.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EXOTIC-MISSOURI-MEERSCHAUM-CORNCOB-PIPE-STEM-FANCY-LUCITE-ACRYLIC-BIT-/221191103107?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3380046283

john218

May 5, 2012
Connecticut
Pipeastronomer, thanks for sharing your discovery of corn cobs. I enjoyed reading your post and seeing your enthusiasm. You can see from the responses that many here share your appreciation for corn cobs.
I have 2 Great Danes and 2 Diplomats. They have wood plugs in the bottom, which supposedly make them longer lasting. They are nice smoking pipes.
MM's used to have orange plastic bits that would splinter in no time. The bits they use now are much better and you can buy extra stems, but when it comes to stems, a Forever Stem from Walker Briar is the way to go.
Briars, meerschaums and cobs all have different smoking qualities. Cobs may not be as pretty as a high end briar or a meerschaum, but they are a great smoking pipe in their own right. I like the rustic looks of a cob for what it is.
Some may not agree, but I think every pipe smoker should have a few. Buy only Missouri Meerschaums and stay away from those cheap Chinese cobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.