PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jallen49

Might Stick Around
Aug 11, 2011
Hello all...
Recently made a trip to a tinderbox where, in the MM corncob basket, I found wooden corncob-like pipes made from cherry wood. I didn't even know this existed, and it's the same price as a regular cob.
Does any have any experience with them?? I would quite interested to hear about them.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I have one.... I'll keep it for sentimental reasons... It's called a "hardwood" pipe...

Can't really say much about how it smokes, because I have only smoked one bowl in it... It was horrible.

loborx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 20, 2011
They smoke very hot. Wear asbestos gloves when gripping the bowl. Cobs still seem to give a sweeter smoke than the hardwoods but they are just OK.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
If it was made by MM then it wasn't cherry wood. I hate to saw it but most of the people behind the counter don't really know what they are talking about....
As for the pipe itself, I have two... I use them for those times when I am out and about some place and I forgot to grab a pipe before I left. (it has only happened twice) They smoke alright but they are about par with a corncob!

jallen49

Might Stick Around
Aug 11, 2011
Thanks for all the help! Guess I'm gonna save up my money for something better

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Just because it is shaped generally like a cob doesn't mean it will smoke like one. I rate then at better than nothing . But only JUST.

colorduke

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 5, 2011
For $4.00 or $5.00 they are worth it for yard work messing around outside ect,i have a few of them they make for a nice change of pace,smoke decent and all in all a good econo pipe.

tonypuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2011
I have 2 of them that i smoke my lakelands in, they are cheap and smoke well!

jpbass

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 13, 2011
Baltimore, MD USA
Can't really say much about how it smokes, because I have only smoked one bowl in it... It was horrible.
One bowl in just about any new pipe is horrible. I would think you would have to give it a go about half a dozen times just like a cob for it to be good, or to at least form an opinion.

dcglendinning

Lurker
Feb 25, 2012
I've had experience with these... if I'd known what they were like when I bought them I would have gotten only the slightly bent brown model. Forget the red ones - the wood's too thin to absorb the heat, unless you're looking to melt something with it.
The brown model is a fairly decent 'beater' pipe - I take a couple to work with me and a couple of them live in my glove compartment. My only complaint is the stem at its bend is kind of fragile.
I'm just returning to pipe smoking after years of cigarettes. If I had a budget with more flex in it I'd have a nice collection of pipes; as it stands, it's more practical for me to get several of these for much less than the cost of one "bargain box" briar.

Status
Not open for further replies.