PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

stormydog

Might Stick Around
Aug 30, 2018
I'm eagerly awaiting my second pipe a Missouri Meerschaum Country Gentleman and my 3rd tobacco 2oz. of Lane Limited 1-Q. Is there anything I need to know about smoking a corn cob pipe over my briar. I wanted a cheaper pipe to try my first aromatic.

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
Just stuff it and light it. Most folks toss out the filter but that's personal preference. The only thing I'd recommend is stopping when you taste burning wood at the bottom. That's the shank burning that extends into the bowl and it takes several smokes to get that sufficiently coated/charred. I also like to fill the gaps on the sides and under that shank extension with pipe mud to even it out so that unburnt tobacco doesn't get stuck down there and protects the bottom more, but that's not really necessary. Pipe mud is just cigar ashes mixed with water (or spit) into a paste you can stuff in there with your pipe tool, then let dry solid. Enjoy!

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
Nope, fire away. You'll learn what works for you and what doesn't in terms of tobacco moisture, packing technique and cadence. At the end of the day, if you are enjoying yourself, then you are doing it right.
Have at it!

techie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2018
In the beginning of my piping I thought cobs were odd. I now have three of them and smoke them as much as my briars.

bluto

Aug 24, 2018
Don’t forget to give her a swish with a pipe cleaner and let her cool down afterwards
The niblets on mine opened up a bit and had a hairline crack near the stem after several smokes , easily repaired with ordinary wood glue and fairing ..

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Cobs are easy to smoke and quite forgiving. You'll have a good time with it. I just smoked my first bowl of 1-Q in years, and it brought back memories, like eating a popsicle.

curl

Apr 29, 2014
I have a drawer full of MM cobs, not all of them but still most of them.

But as it turns out, I almost only smoke my MM Rob Roy cobs.

They’re light so they’re nice to clench while I drive to work, and bowl is the right size for my commute.

davek

Mar 20, 2014
A little light sanding in the bowl before use might be good if you see any errant varnish in there. First bowl will not be good. Some people love cobs and some hate them. I personally greatly prefer a broken in cob to a briar. YMMV.
I could be wrong. IMO. YMMV. A broken in cob provides a porous mixture of cake and charred cob which absorbs juices and tars much like a meerschaum. Thus the name.

mrhhw

Lurker
Sep 15, 2018
Hi Stormydog,
Corncob is really nice pipe for all day smoking, regardless the shape, just perfect. I've smoked corncob more than 10 years, and never have one burnt out or retired, I have purchased some bigger bowl shape like general/freehand from smokingpipes, and 2 packages of second MM pipes.
I've tried aromatic tobacco in both falcon and a MM Pony Express, Pony worked well, seems the tobacco to be sweetened, and as cool as in a Falcon pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A footnote: I really like my MM cobs with acrylic stems, so I either buy those from MM for a little extra, or I have refitted others with Forever stems. For me, MM's are not disposable pipes. They can last for years and smoke really well. I have mostly briars, then cobs, then Mountain Lauarel, and one new-to-me Meerschaum, and one Cocobolo.

pastorpiper

Lurker
Dec 16, 2016
You are in for a life-long journey of incredible smoking with your MM cobs! I have about 5-6 briars that are decent to good. I have a dozen MM cobs that are all excellent smokers. I have never had a bad smoke from a cob. I have the Country Gentleman in both plaster and natural "neked" finish, Legend Rob Roy, Diplomat 5th Avenue, Morgan in both natural "neked" and plaster, Markus in both plaster and special order natural "neked" finish. My Markus is my favorite MM pipe. It is a smaller Mark Twain style and is dark stain. My special order natural finish one smokes like a champ! This size is the perfect overall pipe (IMO). Light, great clincher, and 30-minute smoker. I also really like my natural finish Country Gentleman because it breathes so well and is light weight for clinching. It is a bent style.
Do yourself a favor and smoke Burley in your cobs. I think Burley 'baccy really shines in them. I also like 1Q too.
Cobs can take a lot of abuse and keep coming back for more. And, I think that a well used and loved cob really has a charm all it's own. I think a beat up and well loved cob is a beautiful thing!
And....I like the Danish plastic bits that Missouri Meerschaum sells. They are softer on my teeth than the aftermarket ones, and they are dirt cheap. I can buy a dozen of them and still not come close to the price of an aftermarket bit. And, an amber Danish bit darkens nicely as you use it over the years.
Enjoy those cobs. You may find they push your briars to the side. It happened for me.

stormydog

Might Stick Around
Aug 30, 2018
I'm more excited for the pipe than ever before reading all these praises. Hopefully it comes today.

stormydog

Might Stick Around
Aug 30, 2018
And 5 minutes later
nppdp4.jpg

stormydog

Might Stick Around
Aug 30, 2018
Got home and smoked a bowl of the 1-Q in my corn cob. First thoughts were that pipe is so nice and almost absurd to be under $9. The 1-Q was also good with a nice vanilla caramel taste and really burned nice. Somewhere in my past I have smelled that before.

Status
Not open for further replies.