PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dethmutt

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2018
Well I figured I'd try out a cob. Bought 2 Great Danes. Loaded one up with escudo.
Upon lighting I seemed to have sucked a rubbed out ribbon into my throat.
I horked it out and chuckled, " it's all part of the game". And continued on my miss meer experience.
finished

the smoke, " well not really it was cold as hell outside here in Houston, so probably smoked half the bowl." Tried to clean the bowl out as best I could. But can't really clean around that entrance.
The next day I tried the pipe again and horked a different ribbon into my throat.
This time Latakia flake.. I was not amused...
my miss meers sit lonely against the wall. I'll stick with briars or meers. I prefer to smoke the tobacco instead of swallowing it!.
I have a lot to learn.

Jan 8, 2013
:rofl: The struggle is real. With me, what tends to happen is, on first light some tobacco comes through the stem into my mouth. I then do the tongue lip spittle dance, making fart noises with my mouth as I attempt to spit out the tobacco. Satisfied then that it's gone I continue to smoke my pipe in peace... until someone asks, "What's the brown stringy thing hanging from your mustache?

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
Or just put bigger ribbons on bottom, or roll up a ball of tobacco to put on the bottom. First smokes out of a cob are very much not so great anyway. Ya gotta char the inside a little before they get right.
Some like cobs and some don't.
One thing I'll mention, though. I also smoke outside. Now that winter is coming I'll be smoking in the wind, lighting with a zippo in the wind, and smoking more quickly because it is cold. I will likely exclusively smoke cobs all winter. If the bowl rim chars or things get a little too hot it won't be the end of the world. I care for my briars like most here do. I often abuse my poor cobs.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Honestly, I have not had that tobacco-ingestion problem with MMs any more often than with any other pipe. I find it very rare in any case.
Davek is right about the cob needing a few smokes before it settles in. One of the many things I like about cobs is that within a half-dozen smokes, they are good to go. I've had briars take dozens, and I have a couple that I don't really smoke anymore because they just refuse to smoke like a broken-in pipe. I should probably get rid of them, but then what the hell would I decorate my house with?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Never had that problem with an MM cob or any cob. Rarely with some of the more open draw briars. I'd guess it is because the stem and other airway materials on cobs are a little less uniform, and yours happens to suck up a bit of leaf. Years with various cobs, I've never had that happen. Again, with briars, I've had the other problem, with leaf stopping up the airway, which is easily addressed with 'Embers' common sense pipe cleaner.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
A cob is a cob. At least one is a must in any pipe smoker's collection. They have a charm that harkens to days of old and you can't beat them for fishing trips!

admiral

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2017
I must be doing something wrong, I very rarely suck a piece of tobacco through the stem when smoking a cob.
Try harder :) :) and one day you will make it :)

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
Never really had this issue with my cobs. I hand twist a drill bit down the shank to clean up any rough spots from manufacturing. I then like to use a Forever Stem instead of the factory stem. IMO this gives a much better draw that is more like a briar. Less open than the factory MM without a filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.