PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
mapleMM_zps60738a76.gif

Ordered one of these with my IPSD order, wish I would have ordered a couple, great pipe with a quick break in and only $8.

mapleMM_zps60738a76.gif

Edit: I tried to fix the picture, but you may have moved it. L.

robusthermit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 9, 2012
I picked up a Hardwood Country Gent as part of my IPSD order. I have been smoking VaPers out of it. I like it so far. I have never smoked a pipe made out of maple before. I wonder how it will hold up over time.

robusthermit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 9, 2012
Thats what I figured mikephillips for the price I would not be that upset if I was let down. But I love my MM's I end up smoking them more often then my briars.

robusthermit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 9, 2012
Thats pretty much what I have learned as well. Cobs use to be my hiking and fishing pipes because of their low cost and ease of clenching. But as of late they have become my go to. I now own at least one of every MM. And several of my favorite ones.

bobby46

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2012
The cob is your best choice while behind a snowthrower and a wind-gust gives your face the wet-slap.....

maduroman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 15, 2010
word of advice on the maple pipes...
the 1st few smokes in em are gonna taste "off" so give em some time to break in...

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
I was picking up some tobacco just today at my local B&M when I ran across a display for these. I'll probably buy one on my next store visit. Presently I own two bent and one straight Legend, both spool and egg Great Dane, Pony bent, Diplomat Bent, one Missouri Pride too. I'd like to start working on a rough barn lumber display rack soon.

jhclark

Lurker
Feb 27, 2013
From what I read, the MMs come in Maple and Cherry, but keep in mind these are just the stains, not the trees.
They are made from the same wood as the stem, which is (Maine?) Birch. Also, if the off-taste you're getting is at the end of the bowl, it's most likely the stem - if you've smoked cobs down to the stem-shank, you know what I mean. It burns away completely eventually, and if you don't let any cake build in the bottom that's probably the only way to burn one out. Anyway, if you get that end-of-the-cob-bowl taste from your Ozark from the start, something is off, I'd say...
Shouldn't burn out the side anyway, but after a bit of cake, that taste would be gone regardless.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
New Missouri Meerschaum

NEW "Woodie" Diplomat Pipe

Straight or Bent Stem and choice of Black or Danish bit
This is another one of my favorite pipe shapes. Its large bowl is not the largest in our inventory, but it’s about the size of a traditional billiard briar, and it’s substantially larger than the Legend. This new pipe also features the option of either a black or amber Danish bit. Either color Danish bit will fit it, so feel free to add a replacement bit to your order and switch it to match your mood.
The filtered stem of your new Diplomat pipe comes ready to go with only one Medico filter, so you might consider adding a pack or two of our inexpensive filters to your order.
The bowl is made from Hard Maple from the state of Maine, while the shank is made from American Birch, just like all of Missouri Meerschaum's corn cob pipes. The pipe is also finished with two layers of clear lacquer.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Are these solid wood pipes from MM unfiltered? They look pretty spiffy. They are quite a

counterpoint to the hundred, or several hundred dollar pipes (or more). Not the same, but

an interesting way of going. There's a line of inexpensive rosewood pipes, along these same

lines; has anyone tried those? Let me/us know how these last. I would think in a rotation,

they would go and go. I have two MM corncobs that are years old, and I smoke them regularly

if not real often, just a nice change of pace. More pricey but also a departure, my local

pipe carver does a few Mountain Laurel pipes in addition to regular briar. These smoke and

last well. Someone could get a full rotation of pipes, say five for starters, and some good

tobacco for less than $50, or not much more. Not an elitist pursuit. Or less than $20 for

one pipe and some good leaf.

Aug 1, 2012
I am going to take one of these, a straight Great Dane, as well as a couple other unsmoked cobs to Belize for my MIL's wedding. I figure if customs or a copper confiscate it, I'm not out much. Good to hear some positive experiences as I hope to have good smokes on the beach there.
I just hope they smoke Squadron Leader well as that's the tin I'll be taking with me.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
I have tried one cherrywood and did not care for it, the MM hardwood I got came with a filter but as with all my cobs I immediately pulled the filter out. great smoker.

Status
Not open for further replies.