PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ember

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
Has anyone tried the cobbit cobs collection particularly the wizard or the Elf and what are your thoughts on them .

I'm looking for a pipe that is long and narrow so I could take a flake of OGS fold and ever so lightly stuff the whole flake and not have to trim

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
Sorry I can't comment on the Cobbits you're inquiring about, but the MacArthur pipe I got (the one where the shank joins near the bottom of the bowl, not the top) had a bowl like you are describing. Quite narrow and very deep.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I tried the elf, but the pipe was way too large for me. I just didn't want to load up a half an ounce per smoke.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Here's a discussion we had about them a while back.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/the-cobbit

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
I have both of those... Mine don't have the lose stems that I know some have had a problem with and they do look really really nice... They smoke wonderfully, but as Seacaptain stated... They have large bowls and take quite a bit of tobacco.

Mar 1, 2014
I have three Wizards, four Generals and five MacArthur Cobs.
The Wizards are hands down the most consistent and highest quality. The walls are thick and dense, so much so that I carved two of them out to a much larger bowl diameter. At two inches deep it's not quite as cavernous as the three inch chamber of the MacArthur Classic, but it's much deeper than I could ever want.

Quality on the General Cob has gone up recently as well, they now come with plugs where last year they didn't, and I find the finish in general a little more thorough.
For flakes the MacArthur Classic will guarantee that you can fit virtually any flake (it's 3" deep), and it has the skinniest bowl so you won't need to stuff half an ounce in there to actually get a good fit. The General has a 2.25" deep bowl, but it also has the widest chamber that ships on a Cob, so it's the cob that I recommend most for... general smoking.

The Wizard is somewhere between the two, but I find the Cob itself to be of the highest quality.

One thing that must be noted about the Wizard, it has a standard Vulcanite Churchwarden stem. Which sounds like a positive thing to a lot of people, but it drastically changes the characteristics of the pipe. The standard stems have a very open draw, and the long Vulcanite stem is actually one of the most restrictive I've ever encountered. I've smoked a lot of bowls with stems like that though, so it's not like it's the end of the world.
My recommendation is to get both a MacArthur Classic and a Wizard, that way you'll get to play with two chamber diameters and two draw types.

Mar 1, 2014
Also, all three of my Wizard Vulcanite stems fit perfectly, but the newer ones were more polished.

Just note that they are turned individually for each Cob, they are not interchangeable, and as such the Vulcanite Freehand stem is not guaranteed to fit.
This also means that if you have a bunch of Wizard Cobs and buy a handful of 5/16" tenon stems from Pipemakers Emporium, some of the stems fit some of the Cobs without modification. Saved me about half an hour of sanding.

ember

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
Thank you everyone for you response BiG BiG thank you very much to frozenchurchward that was exactly the info I was looking for

wfin73

Might Stick Around
Aug 7, 2014
I got the cobbit dwarf, it's a good smoke but it's real a pain to get a pipe cleaner down the stem, very tight fit. The bowl on the dwarf is a good size, I don't find it too big.

Status
Not open for further replies.