PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Just got a tin and am smoking it for the first time. Was scared when i opened it because it smelled strong of latakia and im not a huge fan of it, but boy is it delicious. I love it, i say anyone should give it a try of they are looking for a good sweet blend that has a lot of character, order yourself a tin

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Yeah, iread the review that was on this site and promptly followed the link and ordered it. Planning on buying it in bulk if anybody has any experience in the bulk version, please tell me if youve found any differences

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
I picked up both a tin and an ounce of bulk for my reviews of the SPC blends, and am happy to report no difference in flavour on either the Mississippi River or Plum Pudding (I didn't buy any of the Seattle Evening in bulk, although I did grab a couple of tins). The biggest difference I found in the Mississippi River was moisture content, with the bulk offering being slightly drier (although the difference was close to negligable).

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Yeah, iread the review that was on this site and promptly followed the link and ordered it. Planning on buying it in bulk if anybody has any experience in the bulk version, please tell me if youve found any differences
Awesome. I love it when things work the way they are supposed to. :D

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
I can assure everyone that there is no difference between the bulk and tinned versions of Mississippi River other than the packaging. The bulk may be a bit drier as a sealed bag is nowhere near as airtight as a tin, but I will often make a batch, send part of it out for tinning and the rest goes into the bulk bin.
Russ

rlunderhill

Can't Leave
Jan 10, 2012
I have a tin of Seattle Evening and have had 2 bowls of it so far. I can't say it's my favorite, but, it was worth a try.

rlunderhill

Can't Leave
Jan 10, 2012
I would say Seattle Evening is my third favorite of the three. Not quite as good as Mississippi River or Plum Pudding. But still good. Not on my re-order list though.

arabpipesmoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2012
I'm looking forward to trying Mississippi River as many youtube channels recommend it along with site reviews

cgrd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
I had been disappointed in this blend...I found it to be muddy and bitey, especially the first part of bowl. There was also an oily character to the smoke. But, yesterday was a cool (60F) and rainy day and I figured why not give it a try again; it was classic Seattle weather! :)
Perhaps that made the difference, or a few months of aging in the jar, but it really was like smoking a different tobacco. The first few puffs after the charring light were a bit muddied in flavour, but it soon sorted itself out. The further I got down the bowl, the better it got. At the end, it was an enjoyable smoke that fit in with a cool and rainy mood.
I will say though, I received a bulk order and it certainly wasn't cake like or pressed. But, I can ascribe that to both bulk bagging and international shipping.

jharvard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 2, 2011
Can't go wrong with any of the Seattle pipe Club blends. Top notch stuff! I have shared these with my friends and have never met anyone who didn't enjoy them. Plum Pudding is my personal favorite. :puffpipe:

sergemoat

Can't Leave
Oct 15, 2011
Out of the three SPC blends Mississippi River is my favorite, I think Plum Pudding would come in second.

checotah

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2012
I enjoy all three of the SPC blends, any one of them could be a favorite of the group on any given day, depending upon my mood and "appetite". I find Seattle Evening to be a bit more traditional English/Latakia than the other two. Maybe not surprisingly, my wife, who really doesn't care for tobacco smoke and professes "they all just smell like tobacco smoke to me", does acknowledge a difference: she can put up with PP & MR in the house, but SE has to go outside to the deck.

Status
Not open for further replies.