PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wzwheeler

Lurker
Nov 23, 2018
Hey guys!

I’m a fairly new pipe smoker and decided to splurge on a nicer pipe after reading people praising the Sav 320 for English/Balkan blends. I ordered a Sav Spring 320 and when it arrived the draft hole was way off center so I returned it. I ordered another 320, this time the Porto Cervo (huge change up from the smooth Spring Series, but Ben at TobaccoPipes.com checked all the other Spring 320’s and said they were all off center.)

Anyway, I’m inspecting this one. Draft home at the bottom of the bowl looks good, but I take the stem off and the draft hole in the stummel is off center.

My question is whether I should be concerned with this and send it back. Will this affect it’s smoking capabilities, or should it be ok? Let me know!

Im trying to post a pic for reference.
Sav
RJNxZKN.jpg
[/url][/img]
ajZio1U.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
With the stem back on, will a pipe cleaner pass through to the chamber? If so, that'd be good enough for me. In any event, it won't affect the smoking to a significant degree, but may affect the cleaning.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This seems unusual, two pipes in a row that aren't just right. I wonder if the popularity of the shape has caused some slap-dash work on the line. If it passes a pipe cleaner and draws well, I think I'd go with it, but if it is unsmoked, I assume they'd exchange it for another. I've been very spoiled by good quality control from Savinelli.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
If you intend to use the balsa filter, that pipe will smoke fine. If you intend to smoke the pipe without the filter and also without the insert tube, it will smoke fine. If you use the insert tube, that thing will smoke like a wet dog because the holes will be mis-aligned at very close range.

spartacus

Lifer
Nov 7, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
I just looked at two new Savinelli's I got and one is drilled perfect and the other is just a little skewed off center in the bowl and the stem. Looks like yours but my bowl is just off center as well. I never use the insert tube so I should be fine.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
TobaccoPipes.com checked all the other Spring 320’s and said they were all off center.)
With tongue firmly in cheek...
For all the Peterson naysayers, at least their failure rate is less than 100% :nana:
But seriously, nice pipe. may it bring you years of pleasure.

wzwheeler

Lurker
Nov 23, 2018
It does pass a pipe cleaner, but I would like to smoke it with the adaptor.

Dang it this is frustrating. One of the reasons I went with a Sav is because I kept hearing how consistently great they are. But now I’ve struck out twice! Guess I’ll start the return process.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
It really will smoke just fine without the adapter. You could also cut the adapter 1/4" shorter than it is (they are a pretty tight fit) and that would give enough room for the smoke to get from one hole to the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.