PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smittyd

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2018
Pennsylvania
I found a Sultan figure head meer online looks like it's never been smoked. Only 18 bucks..... I am new at this but there has to be something WRONG with this pipe right? The pics show good threads on the steam as well as the female part of the bowl. SHOULD I BUY THIS RIGHT NOW!

Jul 12, 2011
The thing to watch out for is draft hole in a lot of Meer designs they are way too tight ( I have some AKB models I can't smoke because of it ) also the screw in tenon I shy away from due to issues they may have as well - IMP makes outstanding Meers , they are the way to go ( I have two of them and they both are outstanding smokers )

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Check the size of the pipe. Some meers are miniatures, i.e., novelty pipes.

Mini-meers: https://www.royalmeerschaumpipes.com/Mini-Meerschaum-Pipes-s/3.htm

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Smitty, could you PM me a link to the pipe? No need to worry, I'm not going to buy it, but I may be able to tell you a bit more.

Jan 10, 2014
Cortez is probably referring to mini-meerschaum pipes that are typically meant for the domestic Turkish tourist. 99% of Turks who smoke consume only cigarettes. They purchase meerschaum pipes as decorative pieces that will never be smoked. Consequently, these are made from inferior meerschaum nodules and crafted by rank beginners. The sloppy execution of these should serve as a warning against purchasing them. Caveat emptor.

Status
Not open for further replies.