PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

onizuka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 28, 2010
I did a search but I only found things about nasal tobacco. Any how, does anybody here have any experience with a minty or menthol tobacco blend for pipes? Perhaps it's a taboo in the pipe world, but the only one I have heard about is by Altadis called Frosty Mint - and I heard it ghosts the pipe, but is quite enjoyable to smoke.
So I'm wondering if anybody here knows of any others to try out. I haven't gotten around to buying it but I will in a month or two :)

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
You could always dump a mint teabag in with some cheap bland tobacco. For me Menthol Cigarettes were so vile ( in my personal opinion ) that I never gave a thought to Mint pipe tobacco.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
In my opinion mint pipe tobacco just sounds horrible. I did see some drug store mint blend but I believe it was a RYO blend trying to pass itself off as pipe tobacco....

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Ew.
Actually, I remember someone smoking a menthol pipe tobacco when I was in the army but I can't remember what brand it was. Maybe a Borkum Riff.

onizuka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 28, 2010
I'm reading a lot after doing a search and I think I'm going in over my head with this. It seems like lots of people get mint extract and apply it to their tobaccos - but it's mostly RYO or hookah tobacco. This could get interesting - I'll definitely have to pay a visit to my local tobacco shop to see what they have or can suggest, otherwise, I may just end up buying the Altadis Frosty Mint.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
Hey onizuka, is there any particular reason you want to try a mint blend?
If you are going to do the mint extract thing make sure you get either natural flavor pipe tobacco or something as close as possible to natural. Most blends have a casing or topping to flavor the tobacco and I don't think any of them would blend well with mint!

onizuka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 28, 2010
I'm a big fan of mint. When I was smoking cigarettes I used to smoke menthol, one of my favorites was Marlboro Smooths. It was like candy. Also, those Metro Mint waters are so good. Love mint chip ice cream, heck, I even use Nvia Cool soap for men, and I'm about to switch to an organic peppermint soap. Lol. I guess I'm just a minty kind of guy.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
There are a couple of blends that I know of and they are made by McClelland.
One of them is McClelland Bulk #105 Chocolate Mint which is, of course, chocolate and mint:

http://www.cupojoes.com/cgi-bin/spgm?dpt=F&srch=DF&item=mcc105
and the other is McClelland Captain Cool, which is vanilla and mint:

https://secure.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/mcclellan/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=1373
I have tried both of these blends, but it was so long ago that I can't really tell you much about them other than that they were decent blends.
Edit to add: I seem to recall that the #105 Chocolate Mint did remind me a bit of mint chocolate chip ice cream.

onizuka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 28, 2010
Loving the suggestions guys - I'm doing some research, and by research, I mean googling, people's experiences of mentioned tobaccos.

mlaug

Part of the Furniture Now
May 23, 2010
Iowa
onizuka, here is the review for Captain Cool http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=C&TID=1734
I keep some of this on hand for the occasional smoke. Its a very mild aro, more vanilla than mint to me, but a very good smoke.
Definitely worth a try.

will

Might Stick Around
Jul 8, 2012
Does anybody have any idea why menthol plays such a minor role in pipe tobacco?

I realize this is an old post but I searched and really could not find any insight into this.

When I smoked the nails I never really smoked menthol but many people do and seem to enjoy it so I thought out of the thousands of pipe blends out there why there are so few minty ones.

Just curious.

jameral

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 29, 2011
San Mateo
I would imagine that menthol would seriously ghost a pipe. 8O

Though they weren't my preference when I smoked cigs, I don't recall tasting the menthol in the smoke while it was in my mouth. It wasn't until I took the hit into my lungs that I would feel the cooling effects. Perhaps this is why it's not in pipe baccy since it's not meant to be inhaled. IDK just a guess.

typical98

Might Stick Around
Jul 31, 2012
Toronto
in cigs the menthol isn't in the tobacco. It is in the filter. I smoke menthol sometimes and at work if someone bummed a smoke they would cut off the filter so they don't get the mint. When we would use the tobacco for ummmmm other smokes you wouldn't get the mint taste.

tpicking

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2011
There are quite a few bargain tobacco brands that are available in mint, like 4 Aces, Southern Steel, Good Stuff, Ohm, Smoker's Pride, Chris Cross, Red River, Buoy, and a number of others.
A couple of sites where you can find a bunch are Shopzilla.com and tobaccogeneral.com. Thompson Cigar sells a number of them, too, but they're not my favorite company to buy from.
(Thompson has good prices and often free shipping on orders more than $25, but a lot of tins I'd like to buy from them are only available in five tin quantities. I've contacted their customer service group to ask about making those tins available singly, but they basically just thumbed their noses at me. I don't even buy five tins of smokes that I like, much less ones that I want to try for the first time.)

tpicking

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2011
BTW, Shopzilla isn't a tobacco shop per se - they're a distributor for some online tobacco shops - but you can often get nice discounts by going through them.

Status
Not open for further replies.