PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I put some tobacco up for grabs and Mr. Monkfish snagged it. I tossed in two estates that I was too lazy busy to get to because his posts indicated that he enjoyed restoring.
He tagged me back with a parcel of "Lakeland-ish" stuff to try. He also cleaned up and returned to me one of the estates, this little Kaywoodie, so I wouldn't have to stink up my other briars while sampling his gifts. Since he made it "purty", I've done a bit of homework and smoked it a few times. It's an enjoyable pipe and I thought I'd share it here.
Kaywoodie Carburetor Shape #29 (Slim Billiard) produced est. 1948-1972
kay-a-600x169.jpg

The carburetor was introduced around 1937, but discontinued in 1941, suspected due to wartime aluminum demands. It re-entered production in 1948 and ran until 1978. The earlier period had a patent number included in the text. The later group no longer included it.
kay-b-600x228.jpg

The shape 29 ceased in 1972, when the nomenclature changed to 3 digits. The #29 "slim billiard" became #103.
kay-c-600x199.jpg

An interesting choice for cutting the briar, with birds-eye on the sides and straight grain across the bottom. Much nicer looking than my ghetto photos show.
kay-d-600x315.jpg

kay-e-600x247.jpg

Gives a nice 30-40 minute smoke with a stinky Lakeland flake. Thanks again, Alex!! :puffy:
jay-roger.jpg

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Does it really suck any air from the bottom? Can you feel it if you place your finger on the hole?
Edit: I have just realized that ^^^^ is an interesting post :)

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
The aluminum collar from the carb seen on the bottom actually sticks up inside the bowl. I'm guessing not quite 1/8" protrusion. It adds a minor inconvenience to cleaning the bowl, as you have to get something narrow into the channel formed around the carb protrusion.
bb-337x600.jpg

It's also, of course, close to the draft hole, so getting things compacted down there can ruin a smoke just as you get to the good part. Definitely motivation to dry well, pack carefully and tamp judiciously!
When clean, you can see a dot of light through the hole. I sometimes cover it from beneath during initial light. Not sure if I can note much of an impact either way. I do avoid it after the pipe is going well. The little bastard can burn you if not careful.
jay-roger.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.