PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

morbious81

Lurker
Sep 1, 2016
Hopefully one of you guys that have been at this for a while can help me out.

I'm looking for a good looking mini pipe. the idea is short smoke at work in a pipe that is a little fancier than the MM mini's. I work in a "up scale" setting and want to be able to enjoy a short sip in style. As I've mentioned I'm trying to get away from cigarettes but still need my ritual. I've seen the mini meers but am afraid that when winter hits here in western PA it would get destroyed by the rapid temp change. Any suggestions? Maybe even some ideas on smoking a single pipe several times without dumping ash and tobacco in my pocket would be helpful.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Chacom Punch 340. Great pocket pipe. They also make a pot version. However, I cannot find any for sale. Nearly actual size as the image.

Here are some short pipes under $100
https://www.smokingpipes.com/search/the-pipe-locator.cfm?length=-4.5&price=-100&displaynum=24&sortOpt=default&page=1

morbious81

Lurker
Sep 1, 2016
Thanks, Voorhees. Those are the first quality briers I've seen in small format. Most I've found are nose warmers with a short stem and full sized bowl. That punch may be a perfect fit.

I have a collection of Savinelli Piumas... but... for someone in your situation, I would suggest that you either just pack a pipe half full, or go ahead and pack it all the way, smoke it for 15-30 minutes, and then let it go out. You can snuff a pipe quickly by putting your thumb over the bowl and sucking on the stem, and the lack of oxygen just extinguishes the ember. then, when you get a chance, relight the pipe.

The advantage is that a bowl size and shape affects the smoke taste, for me. The smaller pipes, can scorch a tongue, and make the flavor weak depending on what blend you are smoking. A regular pipe that you already know will give you the best flavor, will do so for 15-30 minutes also. And, unlike cigarettes, where tobacco rules you, you rule the pipe. You can just snuff the bowl, and come back to it for an even better flavor. This is what we on the forum will call the Delayed Gratification Technique. And, it works best for Virginia, VaPers, and Virginia based blends. But, there are some who smoke latakias and aromatics that have reported that it worked for them also.
My Piumas even though they are .5" wide x a tad shy of 1" deep will give me a splendid smoke with Virginias for almost an hour. But, for me to enjoy a small pipe, I still need time and smoke slow.
There is a ratio of depth to width that will make smaller chambers smoke just as long as bigger chambers, so you just have to look for shallow pipes instead of just smaller volume, if length of time is an issue.

YMMV

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Meers are tougher then most give them credit for but if you want a small pipe then look at Ropp pipes, Savinelli Petites, Peterson builge or calabash. I have a few tiny meers and a couple peterson calabashs that are great for a 10-20 min smoke.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
The Savinelli Minuto is actually being marketed to cigarette smokers who want a short smoke.
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/savinelli/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=166694
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/savinelli/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=214159

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
The Savinelli Minuto is actually being marketed to cigarette smokers who want a short smoke.

I had a minuto and while a decent pipe you can get two or three yellobole pugs for the same price and they smoke just as good. Plus the minuto had a weird little filter system where you slid cigarette filters into the stem.

morbious81

Lurker
Sep 1, 2016
You guys are all frickin awesome. I knew I'd get a good knowledge dump asking the question here. No I have even more pipes to look at and pick from. PAD is strong in this one......
----

Question on the Yello-Bole's, these are synthetic aren't they? brylon? If I were to go that route, what is different, care/break in? Effect on taste? From my understanding they can take a beating, which would be good for a pocket pipe

----

----

On the subject of relights, I've noticed black cav doesn't hold up well, but most of my English and non-aro stuff (especially perique) does just fine if not better. This is common?

----

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I'm with Cosmic. Just pack a regular pipe and smoke it as you need it. Besides Virginia's are better with delayed gratification.

morbious81

Lurker
Sep 1, 2016
Good to know, 1coyote. I was of the understanding that YB was all synthetic, and have discounted them. the Pug series looks to have a couple of nice looking little pipes, price looks real god too. No I have to try to make a decision, given all the feedback here.
I may go the Cosmic route, and save a few bucks too... so many options, so many shiny things to distract me....

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Just pack a regular pipe and smoke it as you need it.

I've heard this suggestion for years, my problem is I might feel like Virginia at lunch and VaPer or english after work. Some also suggest filling a bowl half full for a shorter smoke and I always ended up filling it more then intended. For me a smaller pipe is the way to go as I can always fill it again for a second smoke if I so choose, especially if its one of my many small meers. But that is just what works best for me and not saying others are wrong in their methods.

morbious81

Lurker
Sep 1, 2016
I'll likely try all routes suggested in one form or another.

I'm still getting my stride in this adventure, so there is a lot of trial and error involved.
At least I've figured out how to not burn a few layers off of my tongue at this point in the game :p Now to work on everything else, and try not to go broke buying pretty smoking sticks...

dixie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2013
My tiny Willmer Lightweight. Great for a 15 min smoke…and just so happens to have flawless grain…beautiful little pipe.

IMG_0316_zpsrh1mjkxd.jpg

IMG_0318_zpslybx9hdd.jpg

Dec 28, 2015
This small Luciano Apple is an excellent smoker and my go to when I want a short smoke. Especially during a break at work. Or sitting by the pool as you can see from this pic.
image39-600x508.jpg

morbious81

Lurker
Sep 1, 2016
You guys just keep giving me more and more to look at and want. Pretty sure this hobby is going to cost me my retirement...
First pipe rack order is on its way now, it gives me room to display 14 at the ready. I currently have 6 in rotation, and a hand full of cobs on standby. Birthday gift to myself also arrives tomorrow, what I consider to be my first "good" pipe (post to come when it arrives). Now I have to decide which piece(s) of advice to take from this post. You guys have given me all kinds of ideas and introduced me to some really nice looking little pipes. In the long run I guess there are worse things I could be spending my time and money on :)

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Here are just a few of my "mini" pipes. In all honesty they see a lot more use then my big ones do. I included a regular size BIC lighter for size reference.

IMG_13331_zpsmkmcytz1.jpg

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
<p>Paint your MM Minis with whatever color paint you most prefer. The average person not interested in pipes will probably never know they are corn cob pipes. Problem solved for the $2 the acrylic paint will cost you at Wally World.

Status
Not open for further replies.