PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It used to be that PX's (variously named throughout the services but basically on base department stores) used to carry tobacco items at a deep discount, if I remember. Now I'm not sure if they carry tobacco products, but our military people and retirees might enlighten us. For starters, they got out of state sales tax, and they bought in quantities system-wide, for bases throughout the U.S. and the world, so had a big advantage. I'd be amazed if you can get a Dr. Grabow or MM cob at a PX these days, but maybe....

travelergypsy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2016
I know they cell cigarettes, but I don't know about pipe tobacco. The nearest EX (PX) is an hour and a half away. I'll have to check next time I'm up there.

sailortodd

Might Stick Around
Nov 2, 2011
Thanks tuold, I didn't realize Exchange online sells pipes. The deals look reasonably good, but not much better than the sale prices you'll find at other online pipe stores.
As far as tobacco, in my limited experience looking at an Exchange, I have seen a limited selection of mostly cheap stuff, and maybe a couple of the most popular brands (Borkum Riff if I remember right). But then you won't find these selections online, as I don't believe the Exchange system sells tobacco products online.
I also have not seen any online stores that openly advertise any military discount, and I haven't gone so far as to ask.

gtrhtr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2016
I am amazed at the pipes for sale on the aafes website. Who knew? I went to the exchange at Pearl Harbor on Friday and noticed a moderate selection of pipe tobacco to include half and half, carter hall and a few others in largish volume. I didn't buy any, but i did notice it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If they have cigs, they ought to sell at least basic OTC blends (as described in the post above) and at least some offering of American (US) made pipes like MM cobs and Dr. Grabow. Service people with more advanced tastes probably have to go online like everyone else. Looking back, I wish I'd had the solace of a pipe on board the USS Gallant, but it would have made me stand out. I don't remember a single Navy person, officer or enlisted, who smoked a pipe. I know from my dad and photos of others that this was not true during WWII -- plenty of pipes around then.

smokinfireman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2015
When my Grandfather was in the Navy in '58, they could get cartons of Pall Malls duty-free for about 2 bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.