PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Seeing the Charatan Coronation recently posted, Mike remembered he has this GBD Cavalier with an incredible grain pattern. It's a lowly New Standard to boot. Occasionally a GBD like this surfaces. Did some line worker have fun creating something special that simply flew under their radar? There don't seem to be any GBD factory workers left to speak to this about, too bad.

chilly65

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2018
Thanks for posting. It is certainly an extraordinary GBD with the finest grain I have seen.
Mike

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
That's just wild. I didn't even know anybody at GBD ever had that kind of briar available to them. Astounding. I'm not much of a fan of the shape, but that grain, hooooo-boy! I can sure see why they carved it that way. Vertical to the limit!
Bill

chilly65

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2018
I've always thought of it as an oom paul variation, but the bottom does screw on/off, allowing a cleaner to be used in the shank and through a drain hole at the bottom of the bowl. So I would say that cavalier is probably descriptive. I imagine the pipe is from the 1950s, possibly the 1960s.

chilly65

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2018
I have 4 or 5 of these pipes. Most have rounded bottoms which also screw on/off.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
This "Super Flame" 9438 was the best grained GBD that I owned. It had pre-Cadogan nomenclature and a brass rondell, but I suspect it was made post-merger.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
That first pipe is ugly as sin, but yes amazingly beautiful grain!
That second one has beautiful grain and a wonderful color!-- you used the term " owned" like past tense? Like you don't have it anymore??

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Yep, past tense. Rodrigo at TreasurePipes bought and resold it.

It had the straight blade style stem, versus the tapered, wasp-waisted style that I've come to prefer.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I didn't even notice that stem, your right it looks extremely thin. It wouldn't even stay put in my crooked funky teeth!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The stem was quite thick (perhaps overly so), its the width at the button (full width). Most older GBD's, have a tapered stem. (I call it "wasp-waisted")

Versus

Status
Not open for further replies.