PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahpui

Might Stick Around
Jan 16, 2012
Saw the mid-life crisis tread on Fiat 600.
I've got myself a Dunhill birth year pipe and ......
Honda NSR250SE-PGM IV
Any other interesting things people out there got for this period?
Edit: Corrected Capitalization in title per Rule #9, L.

Number Nine, Number Nine, Number Nine...

rogermugs

Might Stick Around
Mar 10, 2013
My crisis is leading me towards cheaper pipes so I can buy absurd amounts of tobacco... I don't want any one big thing. I want loads of my favorite thing... ;)

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
hehe, I've been itching to get a motorcycle (had a Suzuki 850 about 30 years ago). I doubt I will get one, but some days I wish I had one.
btw: LOVE the Triumph. If that was in my neck of the woods and I could afford it, it would be mine for sure.

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
I never purchased anything. I realized my life is half over. That in as many years as I have lived to this point I will die. And it has not been worth it. I resent being brought into this earth to suffer for no good reason, and that as much as I love my children they are stuck with the same.

Freedom is a myth. You will work at a job making enough to get by and spend most of your time doing it. You will retire when tou are too old and sick to work any longer, and then you will be too old and sick to do something enjoyable with the rest of your miserable existence. The government will take half of what ever ya leave for you children and tax any attempt to escape from the bonds of this life to make it all but impossible.

Your children will hardly know you as little more than the man who came home each evening tired and sore. The guy who tried to teach them proverbial knowledge, and spent weekends working ariund the house requiring their help. The guy who bitched about how much everything costs, and on occasion took them to the lake, river, beach, or what ever minuscule recreation time that got spent together.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
The term mid-life crisis was coined by the jealous. Arriving in your middle years you find yourself comfortable and finally able to afford a nice item for yourself. You indulge...suddenly you're having a mid-life crisis. BTW, I am about to turn 41 and decided to get back into skateboarding again after twenty years. I'm pretty sure I'm doing the whold mid-life crisis thing wrong.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Coalsmoke - I couldn't agree more with what you wrote. At the age of 53 I am just coming to realize the lessons inherent in what you wrote. I couldn't have said it better, even if I had sat all afternoon trying to word it out. Be happy with what you got. Stop getting more. Enjoy the time on this green Earth that God has granted you. Free time is priceless. Spend it with those you love. Avoid the insanity. Live within your means. Be debt free. I myself owe interest to no one, save our house. I never had a mid life crisis. I stopped running after carrots long ago, realizing who was holding the string. A simple job. A simple life. Home food. I haven't been to a restaurant in 15 yrs. tho I spent almost 20 yrs. in the business - all of my twenties and thirties working my way up to Head Chef for some pretty prestigious restaurants. Today I wouldn't spend a dime on food outside of the house. Eat frugally. Walk 5 miles a day, and enjoy your pipes is what I do.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
You have to view life as a book. Some chapters are gonna be good, some sad, some bad, but it is your book, if you depend on your children to make your life complete you are letting someone else write your book. I hope at the end of my book they say he was a good man, helped those he could, because like Russ , things do not a life make.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
The term mid-life crisis was coined by the jealous. Arriving in your middle years you find yourself comfortable and finally able to afford a nice item for yourself. You indulge...suddenly you're having a mid-life crisis. BTW, I am about to turn 41 and decided to get back into skateboarding again after twenty years. I'm pretty sure I'm doing the whold mid-life crisis thing wrong.
I think in some cases you're absolutely right, but for others (myself included) - I think it is indeed related to being middle-aged. Why it happens, not sure.
In some ways it's a way to try and recapture ones youth, but I think it's more than just nostalgia. And of course it's not always a "crisis". My "middle-aged crisis" was buying a 1980s Bianchi 18-speed bicycle a couple of years ago. Paid too much for it and hardly ride it because my aching back prefers a more upright ride! But boy did I lust after this bike when I was younger but was too poor to own one. So that was the extent of my crisis.
I think for some, it's an actual crisis when one starts cheating on their spouse, maybe partying too heavily, etc.
3t13I13qc5qf5J85M6d67a0e9f2fdbd7c1406.jpg

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
I think for some, it's an actual crisis when one starts cheating on their spouse, maybe partying too heavily, etc.
Exactly! You have some free cash, so you buy yourself something you've always wanted, doesn't sound like much of a crisis. Personally, I just got to the point where I realized there were a lot of things I still wanted to do and have a limited amount of time on this planet and figured, "Heck, I'm an adult, as long as I'm not hurting anyone else, I'm going to do what I enjoy!" There's no brass ring here, I only get to go around once.

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
Phonomet, I would gladdly hear this philosophical idea of freedom.

Because I am sure that this is Hell and that being burried in the ground is release.

That the powers that be are appointed to insure you suffer.

All I see is a wasteland filled with those shackled to their torment be it money, or poverty, or loneliness, or no place to be alone.

For some evil residing inside all men are punished to live out their sentence here on Earth.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Well, for the sake of thread integrity, I guess I'll come clean ... and post my latest fathers day gift. Some might say its a mid-life crisis, but I just got tired of smoking in the garage.
Azimut-45-motor-yacht-World-Debut-in-Venice.jpg

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Doesn't have to be a downer, just that some of us are philosophical about our lives and have learned the hard way of what works and doesn't, that's all.
Oh, trust me, my attitude isn't just a result of being happy-go-lucky or devil-may-care. It's a result of coming to the stark realization that, sometime, hopefully far in the future, I will lay down, stop breathing and die, just like my ancestors, just like my wife, just like my kids someday. There's no doubting I would take more if I could, but that's not how it works. I can only hope that, coming to the end, I don't have too many regrets.
A wise man once said:
"Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. But I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment because they'll never come again."
Yes, that man was Captain Jean-Luc Picard, a ficitional character in a science fiction program. Sometimes the best ideas are written on the inside of the bubble gum wrapper.
ENJOY IT WHILE IT LASTS!

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Thanks, I was hoping people would understand that I don't mean it as a joke. It's what I really do feel.

group4

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 16, 2011
My mid-life crisis is being handled by three different women; better than a motorcycle and just as fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.