PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlattim

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
I plan on spending some time working on my pipes over the holiday weekend. I have searched and searched for an answer to this but can't find it. Will the micro mesh sheets be too much for acrylic stems. I have some that have some light scratching and teeth marks and am thinking of using the micro mesh on them. To be honest on a couple I can't really tell if they are acrylic or vulcanite. They seem to be acrylic, but have some light staining. Even though I'm told they should not stain if acrylic, I'm just not sure what they are. They are very hard and don't feel like vulcanite to me. I just don't want to harm them with the micro mesh if its not the right product. Can someone tell me if the micro mesh is okay on both types of stems?

By the way, I've read the multiple threads on cleaning and have the magic eraser, carnauba and micro mesh pads. Just need to know about the micro mesh and acrylic. Thanks

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Yes. I've used it on acrylic and it works fine. Had no idea (until I tried it) that you could polish plastic to a shiny gloss, but indeed you can.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Woodcraft sells the micromesh pads with their pen making supplies, much of which is acrylic. It is also used in plastic model making and Revell sells their own branded papers. Use as fine a grade as you need to avoid creating scratches you will have to remove. Acrylic stems shine up quite nicely and are much easier to work than vulcanite.

patiobum

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 5, 2009
Baytown,Texas
+1 on the Woodcraft acrylic supplies for pens. They also have a Plastic polish that removes scratches.
I use the mico pads and polish when making acrylic pens. The pads and polish should work well with a lil elbo grease on an arylic pipe stem.
When using the pads, spray wet with water and wipe clean between grits to not transfer one grit to the next progressive pad.

dlattim

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
Great advice on the clean between grits patiobum. I don't think I would have thought of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.