PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
My first commission with Cooke has been a learning experience. I am finding the process of picking the right carver and explaining what you want to be fascinating and one I've not read too much about and so I thought I'd share the process from beginning to end. Picking the maker is straight forward. I then either drop a note or these days they tend to have online forms to initiate the process.

Michael has been exceedingly easy to talk to. I picked him for the "rugged elegance" of his work. There's a certain northern sensibility to his pipes that attracted me. I shared with him the shape I liked and size and wanted his take on it. Here's the basic order so that once the pipe arrives, you can then compare the intent vs follow thru.
"The basic request is a Michael Parks inspired, size 6, based upon the Dunhill Diplomat. "Ruggedly Elegant" is a great description. I love your blasts. Your idea of using a mammoth bone band combined with northern sensibilities makes me very confident in leaving the details to you."
He then came back with this....

"Okay regarding the pipe this sounds execellent and let's see then what I can come up with.....I have some ideas (maybe a combination finish??)"

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Park's is very highly regarded so I'd say you have chosen well. I agree that the combo finish is very eye catching. Good luck with the process.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Michael is an exceptional guy to deal with. We have the great joy of having as a member of our Pipe club and I've shared many a bowl with him in his shop. I can almost guarantee that you will be more than pleased with your commission. Good luck and share the pictures he is likely to share with you as he begins work on your pipe.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I've now placed the deposit and confirmed the dimensions. Here are the details for now... He seems sincerely excited about our project which makes me very excited!!
"this size in a sandblast finish and with a thick mammoth ivory band. For the combination finish I was thinking of something that faded rather than had a sharp transition edge, so there would be no ledges or extra grooves or anything on the pipe affecting the shape. Also the combination can be reversed, so that the bowl is smooth with the base of the bowl and shank blasted. This is what I was picturing.

It really depends on the wood, if the straight grain is spectacular around the bowl then it might be nice to showcase it as a smooth......

Best to see the pipe roughed out in hand first before deciding on something like this.

I've taken a reference image and have a general size:

Length = 6 3/4"

Bowl Height = 1 3/4"+ to 1 7/8"

Bowl Width = 2"

Chamber Diameter = 15/16"

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Thanks! I'm not worried in the slightest. All of these specs and specifics were his idea, not mine. I gave him total freedom with a healthy budget. I just copied and pasted his email. His words not mine.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Iamn8
The pictures you posted are not ones I have seen from Michael. They are indeed beautiful as well as unusual.
I also have ordered a commission and I believe he will begin work early February, or late this month. It is for a large blasted bent billiard, near group 6 size.
Good luck with your project and keep us entertained with any photos he sends to you.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Micheal seems to relish the detailed commission requests. His blasts are among the best in the business (I prefer his style over Cooke). I'll look forward to seeing this one!

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
I am highly jealous! As a Canadian I would love to own a Michael Parks pipe. Can't wait to see what he comes up with!

nurseman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 8, 2014
4-6 months ? :D you do realize that is Canadian time? I am 8 months into my 4-6 months and there are many ahead of me.

Status
Not open for further replies.