PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I saw a pipe on eBay by this American carver. I loved the pipe so I did a bit of research. Apparently he was considered a very important, up and coming American carver in the early to mid eighties. He only made very high grade pipes and just as he was making his name, he decided that his pipes would never command the money to justify the amount of his time it took to make pipes which were up to his standards. This is about all I could find. Does anyone else know anything or own any of his pieces?

I don't know this carver, but so is the story in many craft mediums. There is a boom where makers seem to all be getting huge returns on their creations, then a surge of new makers into the market killing the gold rush, bringing down the top end for the best of them too. Those that drop out, don't tend to ever be collectible. The more years a maker has developing his craft, the more collectible the work is. This guy would just be a "drop out" in artisan terms.

But, it may be an awesome pipe. Just don't pay too much for it. And, "too much" would be relative to your own wallet.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Michael Frey was a student of Mike Butera. He made some amazing pipes, and was very meticulous in their manufacture with very nice grain, and wonderful smoking qualities. I have owned several, just recently selling a couple and the prices are appreciated with knowledgeable collectors. The pipe in picture should realize $250 or in that vicinity IMO and worth the money. Of course I am prejudiced having owned some of Mike's pipes. They don't come up at market very often.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Thanks doc!! That was the feeling I had about them. I loved the look of the pipe before I knew who made it which is always a good thing. You're spot on with regards to price! I won the auction @ $247. It's a shame the way he left the business, believing he'd never be able to recoup the cost of the time it took for him to make pipes to his standard, but that was so long ago and times have changed. Based only on the pipe I just bought it seems he might've been ahead of his time. Something sad about such a promising yet short career.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Hey Cosmic! How ya been?! I had the same initial reaction, but loved the grain and style. After reading what little I could find something about his story grabbed me. Something sad but beautiful about and something I can sorta relate to. He was a revered carver and very highly regarded, but he help his work to a very high standard and felt that he'd never be able to recoup the money due the time he'd invested. Things were very different in the 80's in the American pipe market. Wonder what he ended up doing...

If you like it buy it. But, $250 might be a stretch for me to put out. I would gladly pay more for a pipe from a beginner who has potential to do well, but... anyways, a pipe is only as valuable as you are will to pay for it. It is an interesting shape, like a teakettle with a loooong spout.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
The very popular idea of finding a beginner with potential just never sat well with me. I prefer to spend my cash on the masters. I tend to buy what I see as masterful pieces. What qualifies as masterful? That's personal. I just buy pipes I like and won't ever sell.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I must say I like the shape of that pipe. Never heard of the guy, but you never know.
What is the size and weight?
The stem looks nice and comfortable, but it's hard to see from the angle of the photos.
Good luck with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.