PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Anyone have a lead on a pipe store in Mexico DF? A quick google showed, uh, nada. But maybe someone here is in the know. Also going to the Zihautenajo resort area, but I reckon chances there are even slimmer.
I plan on taking a full supply of tobacco and pipes with me anyway, but always enjoy local B&Ms.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
I vaguely remember a tobacco shop in Mexico City but it has been so many years I don't recall name/location. A Google search for "pipa tabaco ciudad mexico" yielded this shop but it doesn't match my memory. http://pipasytabacos.com/

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Is it really that hard to find a tobacconist in Mexico City? I've read that it has a population of 22 mio. That is 1000 times as many as the capital in my country. Which BTW doesn't have a tobacconist either, apart from a wee cigar shop.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
My good friend from Mexico City, a pipe smoker, said not much available in the way of pipe stores. It’s a cigar culture.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Let's say it isn't a piece of cake, at least for this hombre, whose Spanish is, uh, limitado. And by writing, I find ( hope I will find) that they have someone on staff who parlays the English. (not to mention to confirm they're still open and still sell real pipes). Fortunately, and uncharacteristically, I am planning ahead.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
From the looks of their websites, Pipas y Tabacos seems to be the best option.
There's also La Casa del Fumador, but they don't seem to have a website. Googling should give you the addresses: they seem to have more than one branch.
What are you wanting to buy there, jpmcwjr? Pipes? Toby? The shops that came up in my googling seem to be more related to stoner pipes than tobacco ones.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Actually, I'd be going in not wanting to buy necessarily, but if there's good tobacco or an interesting buy on a pipe, I am game. I also just enjoy seeing good B+Ms.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
I'm happy to help. I've been bouncing around the globe a bit so I've become accustomed to finding shops where I don't speak the language well.
Yelp can help sometimes. Looks like at least several pages for tobacco shops in Mexico City and some have pipes. Yelp tabaco Mexico City
Google Translate does a reasonably good job and is constantly improving. A search for "translate" on Google will bring it up right away. One can copy/paste and get a decent translation or use the other way around. I've used it to send emails though I start by notifying the recipient that I've used Google Translate and apologize if my use of language in the email isn't clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.