PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I tried this once some months ago without success, but perhaps with new membership this might garner more response: are there enough members in the east side of Detoit--I'm think Macomb County principally--to form a modest pipe club? There are lots of cigars bars to meet it, just some guys to gather and show off and smoke pipes. Even private residences, if any are willing (I am). Let's hear from you if you're close to Macomb County, Shelby, or even elsewhere.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
If you're not getting any luck, you might want to broaden the club - ie Detroit and Surrounding area pipe club. Then get on Reddit, Facebook, multiple forums.
We also found a tobacconist to sponsor/host us and put up signs. We started with 2 guys and now we regularly have 10 people show up and 40 people following us on facebook for the Austin Pipe Club.

tlag77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
Sparrowhawk, what kind of details were ya thinking about? I.E. weekday evening, ya know that kinda thing. I am in Oakland County in White Lake.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Any day without rain. I'm not experienced in throwing gatherings, but if everyone could bring a chair, we could have it in my back yard. Is beer appropriate? I can make some potato salad and hot dogs, and a table. Two or three or as many as we can get. Afternoon would be good, I think, or early evening if that's better. Sadly I'm not really set for this sort of thing, but it would be a beginning. Just good company and their pipes and tobacco, and we can compare pipes; I'll supply the beverages and hot dogs. If someone could help clean up after that would be great because I got gimpy legs. BTW, I live in Roseville, just next to the 10 mile and Kelly area. If things work out, I'll arrange for a picnic table for future gatherings.

tlag77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
I could probably do a Saturday once a month, I would be able to come to you I would think, something we could get together anyway. I have 0 exp. with gatherings, but I don't think it has to be anything fancy anyway, some grub, and some friendships.

ithelouniverse

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2013
West Texas
You have an eventual member here for sure! I'm finishing my schooling in Texas and cannot wait to return home to the Dirty D! If there's a pipe club waiting for me there all the better. Good Luck....

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
If you don't have success in getting this going have you thought about checking out the Arrowhead Pipe Club in Flint? It meets at Paul's Pipe Shop. Which is itself a pipe smokers mecca. Wall to wall pipes, a pipe museum upstairs, and tobaccos they still blend in house.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Well, gents, two of us will be meeting at my home May24. If you're in the area, why don't you join us? We"re still putting some details together, but we've gotten started. Write or post if you want details or are interested. There will be food and soft drinks.

tlag77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
Sparrowhawk, Im sorry the date would be the 31st that I would be available, again sorry for the confusion.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
If you're not getting any luck, you might want to broaden the club - ie Detroit and Surrounding area pipe club.
There's already two pipe clubs in metro Detroit, if you count Ann Arbor as part of the metro area.The Ann Arbor group lists here. There's also the NOTPC (North Oakland Tobacco and Pipe Club), which has been meeting for years, and has a FB group. They've posted here, too,and meet in Southfield. So there's clubs on the west and northwest sides of the metro area. And if you extend up to Flint, there's Arrowhead.
Sparrowhawk wants to be on the east side. My guess is that, simply based on the demographics of metro Detroit, that's gonna be a harder sell - especially with the number of clubs there are already. Maybe I'm wrong. :puffy:
I'll keep an eye on this thread. I may be able to pop by.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I really hope you do, Jud. In fact, I was wondering if I'd hear from you. And I've not heard from you in awhile, hope all is OK. PM me if you'd like to come, although my home will be open to all without criminal records and have a bag of pipes to show off. :P And you're right, I'd like to get the east side, the other clubs being a bit far away for us eastsiders. I confess this is partially selfish; for medical reasons, it's hard for me to get out far.

Status
Not open for further replies.