PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

birddog

Lurker
May 25, 2014
Hello fellow pipe smokers,
So today was the first time the Metro Detroit club met in Roseville, Michigan. It was a pleasent and relaxing time by all. We met at a local tobacco shop and enjoyed smoking our pipes in nice leather chairs in a very pleasant atmosphere. Our group was headed up by Sparrowhawk; who did a very good job of organizing the event and making the accommodations at the tobacco shop.
As a group we, of course, talked about pipes, more pipes, different types of pipes and makers and of course tobacco and what is our favorite. The talking was nice and it is very nice to put faces to names.
There were gits brought; but I will let those members discuss their own.
All in all, I say this was a success. Sparrowhawk, tlag77, my father (who will be a member on the forums really soon) and myself enjoyed it a lot. My dad, Greg, was asking me when we are planning to have our next.
Here is a group picture of us all.

From left to right: Tlag77, Greg (my father), Sparrowhawk, Birddog

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I should add this was also a showcase for the Free Pipe Project. Tlag 77 received two wonderful pipes, one that somewhat resembled a bulldog, and still another, a unsmoked Digby billiard of some age I think, in its original box, courtesy of Shaintiques. Greg also got a spare new cob that I happened to have. And Tlag77 also presented me with some tobacco, including a tin of Escudo, which I had never tried. It was a great meeting, and we're hoping to do it again in late summer, hopefully with more members. A resounding success, I thought, and one I hope to repeat.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Glad to see you guys had a good time. There hasn't been a club on the east side since the Hill & Hill club faded out, years ago. (At least if there is, I never heard of it.) I would have enjoyed coming by, but I had commitments from about 10:30-5.

Did you set a date for another gathering?

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I'm contacting or will contact members in a day or so about setting up another meeting, but there seems to be enthusiasm for having another meeting. September seems a logical choice. This one was such a blast, I want to see it continue.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
My apologies for not getting close up shots of Tlag's pipe: one appeared to be a bulldog, and the other was an aged, unsmoked Digby, with original box yet! I, of course, am smoking my trusty Dracula billiard.

rolldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
Great to hear it was a success! Keep us posted on the next meeting, so I (we that are interested) can reserve the date soon.
RD

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Good for you guys. Our group started with just 2 of us and now we get 8-10 guys every month. The hours speed by and the stories get better. Keep at it and have fun.

tobyducote

Lifer
Jun 10, 2012
New Orleans
So glad it was a success..I will be in Detroit in Sept...for a business trip and would love to visit if you guys are meeting when I'm in town...my schedule is flexible...please let me know when you will have your Sept meeting

Status
Not open for further replies.