PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
At Rolldog's request, I'm calling for a road trip to Paul's on the 17th. I suggest we meet there about 2. It might be fun to get some guys to ride with; I'm going to flag Sparrowhawk, since he's close by.

I'm also going to set a bad weather date; it is Michigan and January! Alternative date is the 31st; same time.

I don't know if they are continuing the tradition of Paul's birthday sale or not.

rolldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
17th check, I'm in. Meet at 2pm at Paul's check. I understand the need for a snow date, but I will out of town the weekend of the 31st.

rolldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
Jud, no worries and not trying to change the snow day. Just a heads up that I have plans. :) Looking forward to the 17th. :puffy:

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Got another box from Sutliff. Court of St. James in this one. Huge goody bags to be distributed. I messaged a couple of fellas who were posting in the previous thread.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Court of St. James? Never heard of this one, and I'm familiar with most Sutliff brands by name at least. A new blend? I'm looking forward to trying this. God bless Sutliff for their generosity. I know their policy of distributing their blends has made me, at least, a convert to blends like Charlemagne, Mountain Psss, and a couple others. Good business practice.

rolldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
Anyone want to meet for lunch on the way to Flint? Weather forecast is looking good for Sat.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Court of St James is a Va/Per, Sparrowhawk. Dunno if it's new.

Smokeytay, you and your wife would certainly be welcome. I expect we're going to go the 17th - the 31st was a snow date.

Rolldog, I better pass on lunch - I've got morning stuff to do, and am giving Sparrow a lift, to boot.

tlag77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
I am going to try to make it but it doesn't look good. I have fatherly duties to attend to.

rolldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
...and a good time was had by all. Jud, Sparrowhawk and I met at Paul's Pipe shop yesterday and as I walked in Sparrowhawk already had one of the many cases open, looking at new pipes. After saying shaking hands and exchanging greetings, I jumped right in on the same case. I already had it in mind that I would pick up a new pipe, as this is my birthday month and therefore entitled to 20% off. We spent the next half hour looking over pipes and each of us ended up with our own Cayuga, pipe tobacco and big smiles.
Our fun at Paul's wasn't over though, we then headed upstairs to their pipe and smoking museum. Folks, if you want to celebrate the history, craft and enjoyment of pipe smoking, you owe it to yourself to visit Paul's. The store itself is worth the trip, but the museum makes this a standout among BMs in the business. Pipes through the ages of every type, style and size are on display, along with all things associated with pipe smoking.
Finally, we headed to a local coffee shop a block away for a little more conversation, before heading home. The final pleasant surprise was the product support Sutliff has given to our small group. 6 tins of Sutliff Private Stock, 1 tin of MB Navy Flake, 1 pouch of MB modern VA, a coffee mug and a Sutliff swag bag to carry it in. Folks, if you want to get a hook up, just come out to one of upcoming events and be prepared to receive...and meet some great folks.
Jud mentioned a trip to Hill and Hill in Grosse Pointe as the next meet up, so stay tuned for that and until then, hope to see you at the next one!
RD

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
RD got here first! A great report.

I picked up a sweet little Cayuga rusticated billiard that I intend to use as a flake pipe. I also came upon an old tin of Burley London, from before the tin redesign.

SH rode with me, since he lives 10 minutes from my house. He had commented frequently on his inablity to get a long smoke. (He was amazed at my hour long bowl on the trip up, smoking 2009 vintage HH Mature Virginia in a fairly ordinary billiard.) For the trip home, I took his new Cayuga billiard, loaded it with the said HH MV, and let him light it up. When he stopped smoking, about 50 minutes later, it was because he was "smoked out". My Brandt freehand, loaded with John Bull, was still going.

I am getting monthly boxes from Sutliff. Usually aros, this month it was Court of St James. Every bag has a tin of CSJ, a tin of a Sutliff latakia blend, several aros, and a MacBaren tin, as well as the mugs. I'll keep passing them out until they are gone, adding as they send me new stuff.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
My turn, and I do indeed have some tough acts to follow: Jud and Rolldog pretty much covered it all. So I'll do a more personalized report. First, thanks so much to Jud for the ride--I got him where I wanted him, in an enclosed space where the poor fellow couldn't evade my endless questions. :) When we reached Paul's, I smiled at the sign on front: Smoking Permitted, All Others Free to Hold Their Breath. Heh.

When I entered, I think my jaw left a dent in the floor: This was Candy Land for a piper, all manner of pipes scattered throughout the shop, a thousand at least. Jude directed me to the home-grown Cayuga line, made by the Italian-American proprietors out of Italian briar. Magnificent pipes in quality and variety. I was finally drawn to some rusticated billiards, picked one that the charming attendant and family member, Rachel, allowed me to handle. I put it back for a moment on its display panel, looked down further, and saw this one, a Shell Grain billiard black with a deep translucent ultramarine blue stem:

img_0760-600x277.jpg

img_0762-600x432.jpg

A Shell Grain like this?! I immediately grabbed it, and handed it to Rachel for me to pay for after getting some other sundry items: flints, lighter fluid, Sutliff tins. Rachel added some tobacco samples including their signature blend, Arrowhead. I saw Jud had chosen his pipe, of which I was intensely jealous (just ignore that shadowy figure in your yard, Jud, :evil:)), but I think I will have to get this pipe later as well. Jud graciously helped identify types of pipes I had heard of but never actually seen. Amazing.

After our purchases it was off to the pipe related tobaccoanna museum. More amazements followed, pipes and pipe items going back decades.

With smiles from ear to ear, we finally headed out to a nearby cafe, where Rolldog generously paid for my latte, and we spent another thirty minutes chatting about our acquisitions and pipe talk in general, then headed back out for our cars and home. A great and fruitful time, one I will not easily forget, and I'm sure we're going to return perhaps in the spring. Thanks again to Jud for hauling me, and pointing out the Cayuga line, and to Rolldog for joining us. Jud passed out the Sutliff goodies (I already had most of mine from earlier) and there was some talk about visiting Hill and Hill next month. A wonderful road trip, and thanks to Jud for arranging it. Hope to see the others soon next time!

tlag77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
Feeling a little jealous, fingers crossed that the next one will be on a good weekend for me, I am saddened that I could not make this one either. I am a divorced father, and it seems that the last two meetings fell on my weekends with the kiddos. Maybe next time.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Sometimes life really knows how to stick it in and break it off, tag. Sincerely hope you make it next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.