PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Summer is hastening on - it seems to be time for a July get-together. Let's do Saturday, July 25, at 2 PM.
I like the idea of gathering outdoors while the weather allows it. Anybody got any suggestions as to where?

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
I'm good with coming out your way. I know there are a few nice parks around Royal Oak.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I should be able to make it. Love the outdoor get togethers and I'm not picky about the location. Looking forward to getting together again. :)

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I'm not familiar with the Royal Oak parks at all. We probably should look for something with a pavilion in case we get caught with weather again. We'll see who else chimes in over the next couple of days.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I like the outdoors very much; count me in! No ideas however, being ignorant of such locales: is Stoney Creek a possibilty or is that too far?

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
Its not too far from me. Maybe 45 minutes. I actually got married right around the corner from stoney creek. I may not make it though. I may be up north camping that weekend.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Oh, and this time I'll bring that churchwarden that someone wanted to buy. (I forget who.)

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
WE can try Stoney Creek; I haven't been out there in years. Sparrow, you want to try to narrow down a location? That's a big place.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I actually don't know where Stoney is; I mentioned it off the top of my head, but I know it is actually farther than I care to go, since I have problems driving more than an hour. Whereabouts do you live, Jud? Anyplace nearby to your home?

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
The nearest park to me is Balduck, in Detroit, but it's fairly small, has no pavilion, and tends to be quite busy on the weekend. I'm not that far from Belle Isle, either, but, again, that's busy on the weekends and the pavilions are reserved way in advance.

Stony Creek is out there, at 26 and Van Dyke. The only closer Metro Park to you would be Metro Beach, but see all of above problems: quite busy on the weekend, and pavilions reserved far in advance. You'd also can't park close - there's one lot, and you have to walk to wherever you are going.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Gents, we will probably have to reconcile ourselves to the fact that it's going to be crowded everywhere. Given that, is there a place by Jud's we can meet at, or should we think of something else? Another trip to Paul's, perhaps?

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I'm perfectly willing to make the trek out to Stony Creek. If we don't want to haul out there, I'd suggest Belle Isle over Balduck. There's places where we could just putt out chairs,if need be.

I haven't been down this year, but last year it was pretty nice.

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
I can't remember the last time I went to Belle Isle. Pretty close ride for me. I have the parks pass too which is a plus.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Belle Isle would be great....heck I could swim there if I didn't have to bring a chair or worry about my baccy getting wet! Been a few years since I've been there too. Sounds like a good plan. :D

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
OK - let's make it Belle Isle, then. Closer for me than Stony Creek, for sure. We want to be on the south side of the island, I would think. It would be great to be near the fountain, but might be tough to pull off. Do we need a table, or do we just want to haul our own chairs and call it good?

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Sounds good guys. I'm fine with a picnic table or a lawn chair. I have a couple folding tables I could bring along as well. Let me know. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.